The spreading of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has important implications for airlines and their customers. On this page you will find resources for airlines and other travel professionals.
Operational guidelines from WHO
Operational considerations for managing COVID-19 cases or outbreak in aviation (pdf) - 18 March 2020
Restarting aviation following COVID-19
- COVID-19 and borders: Considerations relating to travel & aviation (pdf) -2 September - Spanish version: COVID-19 y fronteras: Consideraciones sobre los viajes y la aviación (pdf)
Aircraft cleaning and disinfection during and post pandemic (pdf) Ed.1, 19 June 2020
Other Communicable Diseases
Measles is still common in many parts of the world including some countries in Europe, Asia, the Pacific and Africa. Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of getting infected when traveling internationally.
For more information, please see the WHO advisory on Measles.
While the prolonged Ebola virus disease was declared over mid-June 2020 in the Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (RDC), a new outbreak was declared in Equateur Province in early June 2020. IATA monitors the situation closely with the WHO. For now, this situation doesn’t impact international air travel.
WHO guidelines: Operational considerations for managing COVID-19 cases or outbreak in aviation (pdf)
Based on the experience with different outbreaks, IATA has produced an Emergency Response Plan and Action Checklist (pdf), for use by air carriers in the event of a public health emergency.
An important part of this plan involves a series of guidelines and best practices for airline staff in the event of public health emergencies.
- Crew health precautions during pandemic (2020) (pdf)
- Cabin Announcement Scripts (2017) (pdf)
- Universal Precaution Kit (2017) (pdf)
- Cabin Air Quality Brief (pdf)
- Bird Strike (2017) (pdf)
- Maintenance Crew (2017) (pdf)
- Cargo & Baggage Handlers (2017) (pdf)
- Cabin Crew (2017) (pdf)
- Cleaning Crew (2017) (pdf)
- Passenger Agents (2017) (pdf)
- Passenger Locator Form
- Flu Hygiene flyer (pdf)