In the airline industry, health-related issues concerning passengers and crew are crucial in most activities: aircraft operations, passenger transport, cargo, etc. They cover matters as diverse as duty time limitation, transmission of communicable diseases, and disinfection. On this page you will find guidelines developed by IATA's Medical Advisory Group addressing medical issues in all areas of aviation.
Medical guidance on COVID-19
Airlines and other air transport professionals: see Air Transport & Communicable diseases
Travelers: go to our Travelers & IATA section for practical tips.
Guidelines on Health & Safety Issues
IATA's Medical Advisory Group brings together airline medical experts from around the globe. Their role is to contributes to an efficient approach to handling medical issues in the airline industry by providing advice on a wide range of medical issues. The guidelines developed by the Medical Advisory Group are available below.
IATA Medical Manual
- IATA medical manual - a complete guide covering airline administration and operations from a medical point of view.
Passenger Medical Issues
- IATA Health and Safety Checklist for Air Operators (IHSC)
- Recommendations for allergen-sensitive passengers (pdf)
- Thermometers on board (pdf)
- Passengers emitting radiation (pdf)
- Oxygen delivery system for passengers (pdf)
- Medical incident report form (pdf)
- Handling a death on board (pdf)
Infectious Disease Issues
- Communicable diseases & emergency response guidelines
- Public health emergencies/BCP (pdf)
- Passive passenger screening for passenger agents (pdf)
- Request form for passenger contact tracing (pdf)
- Passenger locator form
- International transport of human remains (pdf)
Food and Water on Board
- Ground air pollution health and safety guide (pdf)
- Medical response to cabin air quality Events (pdf)
- FAQ - cabin air quality event (pdf)
Crew Medical Issues
Medical Emergencies Onboard
- Guidance for managing medical emergencies onboard an aircraft is now available in the Cabin Operations Safety Best Practices Guide.