Aircraft Decommissioning: Regulations, Economics and Sustainability (Classroom, 2 days)
Currently, about 700 aircraft are retired each year, with a growing trend. If undertaken in a timely and appropriate manner, decommissioning can allow recovery of a good residual value from re-used parts and recycled material, whilst minimizing environmental and safety risks. Timely retirement is an essential part of the fleet renewal process. Today, around 90% of aircraft parts can be reused or recycled. However, for most airlines and other aircraft owners, such as lessors, limited experience is available on managing aircraft decommissioning as a controlled process.
In this 2-day workshop you will receive guidance on business processes, operational experiences and best practices in the industry, reinforced with exercises, discussions, and role-play to equip you with the knowledge to optimize the residual value from aircraft decommissioning.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TALG-89
- This workshop provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have prior knowledge of general airline operations
- Recommended level is Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
11 - 12 August, 2020
Register before 21 Jul, 2020 for a USD100 discount
Please register by 21 Jul
All prices are before tax. Class no: 110546
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Switzerland, Geneva (IATA)
22 - 23 September, 2020
Register before 24 Jun, 2020 for a 20% discount
Please register by 01 Sep
All prices are before tax. Class no: 110543
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Optimize the timing of aircraft retirement
- Make a well-founded selection of storage or disassembly facilities
- Plan suitable quality, safety and environmental management of the aircraft decommissioning process
- Optimize the realisation of residual value from aircraft decommissioning
- Aging aircraft market
- Aircraft decommissioning process:
- Structure and stakeholders
- Economic and operational parameters
- Decommissioning scenarios
- Specialized facilities
- Dismantling and recycling
- Re-use of aircraft parts
- Calculation exercises
- Forecast aircraft retirement volume
- Estimate aircraft residual value
- Establish quality and environmental management plan for a dismantling facility
- Role play: Aircraft owners negotiate with dismantling facilities
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Airline Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)
- Airline and lessors fleet planning
- Recycling companies
- Eco-business developers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: