Aircraft Decommissioning: Regulations, Economics and Sustainability (Classroom, 2 days)
Some of these topics are also explored in the following virtual classroom course:
Currently, about 700 aircraft are retired each year, with a growing trend. If undertaken in a timely and appropriate manner, decommissioning can allow recovery of a good residual value from re-used parts and recycled material, whilst minimizing environmental and safety risks. Timely retirement is an essential part of the fleet renewal process. Today, around 90% of aircraft parts can be reused or recycled. However, for most airlines and other aircraft owners, such as lessors, limited experience is available on managing aircraft decommissioning as a controlled process.
In this 2-day workshop you will receive guidance on business processes, operational experiences and best practices in the industry, reinforced with exercises, discussions, and role-play to equip you with the knowledge to optimize the residual value from aircraft decommissioning.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TALG-89
- This workshop provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have prior knowledge of general airline operations
- Recommended level is Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Optimize the timing of aircraft retirement
- Make a well-founded selection of storage or disassembly facilities
- Plan suitable quality, safety and environmental management of the aircraft decommissioning process
- Optimize the realisation of residual value from aircraft decommissioning
- Aging aircraft market
- Aircraft decommissioning process:
- Structure and stakeholders
- Economic and operational parameters
- Decommissioning scenarios
- Specialized facilities
- Dismantling and recycling
- Re-use of aircraft parts
- Calculation exercises
- Forecast aircraft retirement volume
- Estimate aircraft residual value
- Establish quality and environmental management plan for a dismantling facility
- Role play: Aircraft owners negotiate with dismantling facilities
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Airline Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)
- Airline and lessors fleet planning
- Recycling companies
- Eco-business developers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: