Cargo Route Development Optimization (classroom)
Did you know that in the past 3 years, 45 participants from 7 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
3-day (24 hours) classroom course
It is imperative for airlines to economize every single cent and employ their assets efficiently to cut down expenses and enhance profitability. This involves meticulous analysis of information and intelligent judgments. One of the fundamental elements, which define the future of an airline, is route profitability. This course provides you with a helicopter view of methods to determine whether a specific course of action is rewarding or not, during a given time period. It will empower you to make rapid decisions on whether to alter, supplement or exclude routes from your network or schedule.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TCGG-27
- This classroom course provides 3 days (24 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have prior knowledge of air cargo business
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Acquire an in-depth managerial realization how profitability depends on network and schedule planning
- Develop, maintain and implement a network strategy plan aimed at achieving the performance targets defined
- Maximize the network-wide profit through flight selection, aircraft rotation planning and routing
- Recognize the delicate balance between route profitability and network contribution
- Be aware of key elements for profitability
- Identify cost and revenue optimization opportunities
- Be familiar with cost elements and cost allocations
- Network and schedule planning methodologies
- Cargo airline economics and dynamics
- Flight operation cost structure
- Pros and cons of hub-systems and deregulation
- Forecasting systematics
- Traffic flow, schedule design and planning
- Processes involving network optimization
- Data analytics including period type, operational information, traffic type, cost, revenue and profit
- KPI structures including cost KPIs, operational KPIs, revenue KPIs and other KPIs
- Tools to measure and monitor route profitability
- Post flight analyses
- Business simulation game
- Case study and group presentation
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Cargo executives, management, high-potential and future leaders
- Functional managers recently transitioned or will soon transition into a business leadership position
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Cargo Leadership Development Program with Harvard Business Publishing
This program comprises cargo training through IATA courses and management skills through Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) modules. Today’s managers and business leaders need to be equipped with the skills and behaviors required to achieve key commercial objectives. This advanced program will provide you with an in-depth exploration of the fundamentals of cargo airline business strategy, methodology and business development tools. The combination of IATA courses and HMM modules are designed to balance theory and practical application, and to equip you with critical competencies in cargo airline business management.