Human Factors and Safety Management Fundamentals (partner-taught or self-study)
About the course
25-30 hour self-study/partner-taught course
This course will provide you with the principles of Human Factors and Safety Management Fundamentals and the necessary knowledge to foster and promote a positive safety culture within your organization. Topics include the four core disciplines of human factors; models that are used to explain the Human Factor; the influence of culture; and human error. ICAO states that the consideration of human factors is an integral part of safety management, necessary to understand, identify and mitigate risks as well as to optimize the human contribution to organizational safety. It is all about the behavior of the human in relation to safety and risk. The safety culture is the natural consequence of having humans in the aviation system.
Course Code: TCVT-04
- This course is available in e-book format.
- This course requires approximately 25-30 hours of study to be completed in 12 months from the purchase date (enrollment validity). After the enrollment validity expires, the users will not have access to the course content and will not be able to take the exam.
- Student performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
Enrol at an Authorized Training Center to study these materials with the help of a local trainer, or alternatively you can choose to study these materials on your own.
Important: Please note that if you are purchasing courses for more than one person, you must create a User Account for each individual. Registration and payment must be done through each User Account. You cannot use one User Account to purchase courses for multiple individuals. However, you may pay for multiple individuals by one credit card or bank transfer through each individual’s User Account. If you pay by bank transfer, please attach a copy of the bank transfer issued by the sender’s bank to each individual’s order. If you are a company wishing to purchase courses for 10 or more employees, please Contact Us for more information on how to register multiple users.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Explain Safety Management Fundamentals as described in ICAO Doc 9859, 4th Ed.
- Describe why safety management processes must consider Human Factors
- Describe the changes of greatest physiological significance in day-to-day flight operations
- Explain Social Psychology, Organizational Psychology and Cognitive Psychology
- Describe and explain the 4-step procedure of designing safety into the system
- Describe and explain the main components
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Introduction to human factors and safety management fundamentals
- Human factors and human factors models
- Physiology and physiological work conditions
- Aviation psychology
- System safety
- Culture, positive and safety culture
- Human error
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Entry-level aviation employees
- Newly hired staff of Airlines, Airports, Ground Handlers, ANS providers, AMO’s
An IATA Certificate is awarded to participants successfully passing the final exam.
Please read the General Information on Partner-taught / Self-study exams, and check the Course Edition List for Exams when booking your exam.
- Method: Online exam with remote supervision (OERS)
- Format: multiple-choice questions. Closed course book exam.
- Number of questions: 60
- Time Allowance: 2.5 hours
- Passing Grade: 60% correct answers
- Disctinction Grade: 85%
- Number of exam attempts: 2