Safety Management Systems (SMS) Effectiveness (classroom)
You can also take this course online in a LIVE virtual classroom setting:
About the course
2-day (16 hours) classroom course
If your airline has already implemented an operational Safety Management System (SMS), this course has been designed for you! You will be given step-by-step guidance to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the processes and activities implemented under the SMS to manage safety risk and be equipped with the knowledge to assess whether your airline’s SMS is really working, in a manner commensurate to the resources invested. If you are from a new entrant airline, you’ll also benefit from this course by acquiring early warning about potential pitfalls during SMS implementation, thus fostering its effectiveness and efficiency from the start and avoiding expenditures resulting from later revisions.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TALP-39
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- You are knowledgeable about safety management and SMS and your airline has implemented and currently operates an SMS.
- Recommended level is Intermediate or Advanced.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 or the equivalent for courses held in languages other than English.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Benchmark your airline’s SMS
- Assess the status of the four essential key safety management capabilities in your airline for an efficient SMS
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your airline’s SMS through the assessment of the four vital safety management enablers using the SMS Capabilities Assessment Tool (SCAT)
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- IOSA - An International SMS Baseline
- Safety Management: Airline Capabilities and Enablers
- Safety Management Capabilities: Status Assessment ‒ Considerations for change
- SMS Capabilities Assessment Tool (SCAT) framework
- SMS effectiveness of your airline using SCAT
Exercises, case studies
- Final assessment
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Middle/senior safety managers
- Operational managers and supervisors
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management for Airlines Diploma
Gain a complete and updated knowledge on the current safety management issues and best practices.