Safety Management Systems (SMS) Effectiveness (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
About the course
2-day (9 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
If your airline has already implemented an operational Safety Management System (SMS), this course has been designed for you! You will be given step-by-step guidance to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the processes and activities implemented under the SMS to manage safety risk and be equipped with the knowledge to assess whether your airline’s SMS is really working, in a manner commensurate to the resources invested. If you are from a new entrant airline, you’ll also benefit from this course by acquiring early warning about potential pitfalls during SMS implementation, thus fostering its effectiveness and efficiency from the start and avoiding expenditures resulting from later revisions.
Course Code: TALP-39-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 9 hours to complete and be held over 2 consecutive days.
- There will be 1 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 180 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- You are knowledgeable about safety management and SMS and your airline has implemented and currently operates an SMS.
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Benchmark your airline’s SMS
- Assess the status of the four essential key safety management capabilities in your airline for an efficient SMS
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your airline’s SMS through the assessment of the four vital safety management enablers using the SMS Capabilities Assessment Tool (SCAT)
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- IOSA - An International SMS Baseline
- Safety Management: Airline Capabilities and Enablers
- Safety Management Capabilities: Status Assessment
- Considerations for change
- SMS Capabilities Assessment Tool (SCAT) framework
- SMS effectiveness of your airline using SCAT
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Middle/senior safety managers
- Operational managers and supervisors
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management for Airlines Diploma
Gain a complete and updated knowledge on the current safety management issues and best practices.