ULD Build-up Training (classroom)
About the course
2-day (16 hours) classroom course
This course will help you to recognize the different types of Unit Load Devices (ULDs) and have a clear understanding of their operating limitation. The knowledge of the airworthiness limits of ULDs and the understanding of how to prepare and restrain cargo within a ULD will help you in your daily work and enable you to establish and improve working routines leading to a boost in quality and efficiency in ULD build-up and handling.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TCGQ-01
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
1 additional classes are scheduled
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
Recognize and identify different ULD types and their characteristic abilities
- Know how to plan and restrain cargo when distributing load in/on a ULD for an aircraft
- Identify the special build-up procedures for odd-shaped cargo and gain knowledge in aircraft terminology, fleet and contours
- Summarize the ULD certification process and explain ULD tags
- Discuss the requirements concerning serviceability, storage, and transportation
- Relate the definition and importance of area load and running load limits, how to ensure the build-up is within the C.G. limits, standard lashing requirements and other build-up principles
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Warehouse processes and safety
- The functions and certification requirements of ULDs
- Handling, storage, airworthiness/ serviceability and operating limitations of ULDs according to ICHM/ULDR
- Planning of ULDs to optimize size/contour and weight for different aircraft types according to ICHM/ULDR/AHM
- The build-up of ULDs for aircraft and cargo restraint according to the ICHM/ULDR/AHM
- The most common mistakes made during ULD build-up and their consequences with regards to safety
- Build-up of odd-shaped cargo, AVI, PER and dangerous goods
- Restraint of “Special Cargo”
- Group work and exercises
- Observing on-the-job tasks in the warehouse
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Warehouse staff engaged in ULD build-up tasks
- Staff engaged in warehouse supervision
- Staff involved in the load planning of aircraft and RFS services
- ULD control management staff
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 80% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.