Did you know that in the past 2 years, 18 participants from 2 countries have taken this course with IATA?
2-day (16 hours) classroom course
This course will help you to recognize the different types of Unit Load Devices (ULDs) and have a clear understanding of their operating limitation. The knowledge of the airworthiness limits of ULDs and the understanding of how to prepare and restrain cargo within a ULD will help you in your daily work and enable you to establish and improve working routines leading to a boost in quality and efficiency in ULD build-up and handling.
Course Code: TCGQ-01
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company, please complete the in-house training request form or contact the Training Specialist in your region.
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
Recognize and identify different ULD types and their characteristic abilities
- Know how to plan and restrain cargo when distributing load in/on a ULD for an aircraft
- Identify the special build-up procedures for odd-shaped cargo and gain knowledge in aircraft terminology, fleet and contours
- Summarize the ULD certification process and explain ULD tags
- Discuss the requirements concerning serviceability, storage, and transportation
- Relate the definition and importance of area load and running load limits, how to ensure the build-up is within the C.G. limits, standard lashing requirements and other build-up principles
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Warehouse processes and safety
- The functions and certification requirements of ULDs
- Handling, storage, airworthiness/ serviceability and operating limitations of ULDs according to IATA Cargo Handling Manual (ICHM)/ ULD Regulations (ULDR)
- Planning of ULDs to optimize size/contour and weight for different aircraft types according to IATA Cargo Handling Manual (ICHM)/ ULD Regulations (ULDR)/Airport Handling Manual (AHM)
- The build-up of ULDs for aircraft and cargo restraint according to the ICHM/ULDR/AHM
- The most common mistakes made during ULD build-up and their consequences with regards to safety
- Build-up of odd-shaped cargo, LAR ( Live Animals), PER ( Perishables) and DGR ( Dangerous Goods)
- Restraint of “Special Cargo”
- Group work and exercises
- Observing on-the-job tasks in the warehouse
Each participant will receive a copy of the latest IATA ULD Regulations (ULDR) manual in e-book format. It is an indispensable field publication that you will refer to throughout this course and in your day-to-day duties.
This course is recommended for:
- Warehouse staff engaged in ULD build-up tasks
- Staff engaged in warehouse supervision
- Staff involved in the load planning of aircraft and RFS services
- ULD control management staff
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 80% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.