ULD Build-up Training (Classroom)
This course will help you to recognize the different types of Unit Load Devices (ULDs) and have a clear understanding of their operating limitation. The knowledge of the airworthiness limits of ULDs and the understanding of how to prepare and restrain cargo within a ULD will help you in your daily work and enable you to establish and improve working routines leading to a boost in quality and efficiency in ULD build-up and handling.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TCGQ-01
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
Recognize and identify different ULD types and their characteristic abilities
- Know how to plan and restrain cargo when distributing load in/on a ULD for an aircraft
- Identify the special build-up procedures for odd-shaped cargo and gain knowledge in aircraft terminology, fleet and contours
- Summarize the ULD certification process and explain ULD tags
- Discuss the requirements concerning serviceability, storage, and transportation
- Relate the definition and importance of area load and running load limits, how to ensure the build-up is within the C.G. limits, standard lashing requirements and other build-up principles
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Warehouse processes and safety
- The functions and certification requirements of ULDs
- Handling, storage, airworthiness/ serviceability and operating limitations of ULDs according to ICHM/ULDR
- Planning of ULDs to optimize size/contour and weight for different aircraft types according to ICHM/ULDR/AHM
- The build-up of ULDs for aircraft and cargo restraint according to the ICHM/ULDR/AHM
- The most common mistakes made during ULD build-up and their consequences with regards to safety
- Build-up of odd-shaped cargo, AVI, PER and dangerous goods
- Restraint of “Special Cargo”
- Group work and exercises
- Observing on-the-job tasks in the warehouse
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Warehouse staff engaged in ULD build-up tasks
- Staff engaged in warehouse supervision
- Staff involved in the load planning of aircraft and RFS services
- ULD control management staff
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 80% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.