Live animal transport is a complex, high-touch process involving everyone from the shipper to freight forwarders to airline staff, including the handlers. Inappropriate container use or misunderstanding carrier or government regulations can have catastrophic consequences.
The LAR has all the information you need to make sure your live animal shipments are handled and transported in the most expedient and humane manner and at their destination in good health, whether it’s a pet, day-old chicks, racehorses or something a little more exotic.
Order the 2021 LAR online
English, Spanish and French versions of the LAR are available in digital and print formats.
If you are new to the LAR, all versions are updated annually. Digital products come with automatic updates for the year and a search function that makes finding current information easy. And, it's cheaper.
What’s inside the LAR?
The LAR covers animal transport of all kinds and contains comprehensive information about the requirements for protected and endangered species as lab animals, livestock and domestic animals.
- Applicability (shipper and carrier responsibilities, training, combatting illegal trade)
- Government regulations (general and variations by country)
- Carrier regulations (general, variations by carrier, airline contact information and AVI services)
- Reservations and advance arrangements (schedules, routing, interline advance, delivery, accompanying persons)
- Animal behaviour (general, disturbance, segregation, sedation, euthanasia, in-flight environment)
- Listing, description and species size (taxonomy, alphabetical list, description and size)
- Documentation (shipper’s certification, waybill, captain notification, CITES documents, other documents, live animal acceptance checklist)
- Container requirements (general, stocking density, marking, labelling)
- Handling (animal acceptance, ground handling, loading, feeding and watering, captain’s advice, health and hygiene, OIE recommendations)
- CITES (general, documentation, list of states, management authorities by country, Article XI, combatting illegal trade)
- Life science logistics for lab animals (health status, animal type and number, species and container considerations)
Still not sure if the LAR is for you? Download the full table of contents.
The LAR is published every year
In the 47th edition, the most significant changes include:
- To avoid any confusion and for the sake of consistency, all relevant Container Requirements have been restructured, specifying the feeding and watering requirements into one specific section;
- We also amended the section related to the IATA Live Animal Acceptance Checklist with the inclusion of the species and the related container requirement directly on the checklist.
- Inclusion of the Center of Excellence for Independent Validators (CEIV) for Live Animals logistics
- New Appendix I that contains the CEIV Live Animals checklist and accompanied guidelines
Fill in the form below to download the full list of significant changes:
Addendums to the 46th LAR
The Addendum 1 is available to download in the following languages:
Live Animals Regulations Training
You can learn more about live animals regulations and best practice in three ways.