With escalating traffic growth and widespread capacity constraints, modern air traffic services face considerable challenges. As IATA’s members account for around 83% of the world’s air traffic, IATA is consistently seeking a structured and globally harmonized Airspace and Air Traffic Management (ATM) framework, supported by a cost-effective and sustainable Communications, Navigation and Surveillance (CNS) infrastructure.
What Are the Challenges?
As passenger numbers will nearly double to nearly 8 Billion by 2036, an infrastructural crisis is looming everywhere in the world that can be averted only with strong coordinated efforts to address deficiencies.
- Current Airspace and ATM structures and performances are a genuine threat to the on-going growth of the air transport sector
- Many inefficiencies are generating billion of dollars in annual costs
- No standardized approach to ensure proper airspace optimization
- Lack of coordinated efforts between airlines, airports, air navigation service providers and governments
- Shortage of necessary staff to effectively perform new responsibilities
Increasing the value of aviation in Colombia
In 2017, the air transport sector employed 71,000 people and contributed $2.2 billion to the GDP in Colombia. This means that 2.1% of the country's GDP is supported by the air transport sector. Unleashing opportunities in aviation can support further growth that will reap benefits for the Colombian economy.
Therefore, IATA Consulting was tasked by Colombia’s CAA to redesign the airspace and optimize airside capacity. Discover the key recommendations and benefits our experts put forward in this project report.
How Can IATA Consulting Help?
IATA Consulting can conduct a comprehensive gap analysis of your airspace and ATM system to provide customized solutions with strategic, tactical and operational insights. These solutions will help you develop the highest quality aviation-focused services and operational procedures that will ensure a safe and cost efficient operation. Our wide array of consulting services include:
- Development of Operational Procedures
- Execution of Safety Assessments
- Optimization Flight Crew Workload
- Implementation of Optimized Trajectories
- Reduction of Operational Costs
- Increase of Capacity
- Redution of Delays
- Traffic Growth
- Generation of Additional Revenue
Air Navigation Service Providers / Civil Aviation Agencies / Governments
- Airspace Redesign
- Development and Implementation of PBN Procedures
- Execution of Safety Assessments
- Optimization of Air Traffic Controllers (ATCOs) Workload
- Development of Optimized Trajectories
5 Phase Approach to Airspace Optimization
Phase 1: Diagnostic
This initial Diagnostic Phase focuses on collecting relevant information and data to evaluate the current operational demands and processes in order to identify existing constraints and deficiencies in the operations of the airspace and airport system that prevent it from functioning at its optimal level in terms of safety, capacity, and efficiency.
Phase 2: Planning
Elaboration of an Airspace Optimization Plan that will identify and define comprehensive corrective and optimization strategies and measures that must be progressively implemented for the airspace system to efficiently accommodate air traffic growth while delivering air traffic control services with the highest standards of safety and efficiency.
Phase 3: Development
Development of the optimization strategies and measures identified in the Airspace Optimization Plan agreed upon during the preceding phase including a new CONOPS, airspace design, WGS-84 surveys, PBN procedures design, Air Traffic Control Standard Operating Procedures (ATC SOPs), safety assessment, regulatory documentation, etc. Throughout the development of the key tasks the technological knowledge will be transferred from our team of experts to the Client staff.
Phase 4: Training
Relevant staff will be trained (classroom, simulations and on-the-job training (OJT)) on the new CONOPS, airspace design, PBN procedures, ATC SOPs, safety assessments, regulatory documentation, etc. to facilitate the implementation process.
This will ensure that all the stakeholders are well prepared for a successful implementation and that all the new measures are in line with all applicable safety regulations and industry best practices.
Phase 5: Implementation
Our team will work closely with the Client staff to ensure a smooth transition and a safe and efficient implementation of the new CONOPS, airspace design, PBN procedures, ATC SOPs, safety assessment, regulatory documentation, etc. in order to achieve all the expected benefits of the airspace optimization.
What potential benefits can you expect?
- Increased safety
- Reduction in flight duration and improved on-time perfromance
- Increased airspace and airport capacity
- Reduction of CO2 emissions and noise
- Operational cost savings
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Improved ATCO's job satisfaction
- Increased in air traffic and incremental revenue generation
- Increase in Gross Domestic Product
Who has benefited from our services?
Some clients that have benefited from IATA Consulting:
- For more information on this or any of our other Consulting services, please complete and submit our contact form here.
- Opt in for more information on IATA services you're interested in.