The COVID-19 pandemic is having a huge impact on aviation and air travel industry. On these pages, you will find resources to support airlines and other aviation stakeholders during the COVID-19 crisis and industry's restart.
IATA supports the ICAO Council’s Aviation Recovery Task Force (CART) aimed at providing practical guidance to governments and industry operators to restart the international air transport sector and recover from COVID-19 on a coordinated way.
IATA’s Biosafety for Air Transport: A Roadmap for Restarting Aviation was the basis for IATA’s contribution to Takeoff. In line with its Declaration for Restarting the Industry and supported by scientific evidence, IATA's Review of the Current Medical Evidence paper aims to facilitate industry restart strategies.
IATA guidance complementing ICAO's CART
IATA fully supports the “Take off” guidance, an authoritative and comprehensive framework of risk-based temporary measures for air transport operations during the COVID-19 crisis. Below is additional guidance for airlines, incorporating these recommendations in the areas of Airport, Aircraft, Crew, and Cargo.
Guidance for cabin operations during & post-pandemic (pdf) also available in Spanish (pdf)
Current status of air cargo operations by carrier - Air Cargo Tariff and Rules (TACT)
IATA Position Papers
- Considerations on COVID-19 Testing (pdf)
- Considerations on Quarantine (pdf)
- Temperature Screening: A Public Health Responsibility (pdf)
- Collection of Self-Declared Passenger Health Data (pdf)
- Harmonization of Health Declaration Form/Data Set (pdf)
- Preparing Passenger for Travel - Journey with Checked Baggage (pdf)
Government Measures related to COVID-19
- Interactive COVID-19 Travel Regulations Map – contains information on entry/transit restrictions, health requirements, airports and borders closed/open and flight suspensions
- COVID-19 Government Public Health Mitigation Measures Dashboard – contains health requirements that passengers will need to follow at the airport and onboard the aircraft
- COVID-19 Dashboard on state & airport restrictions (NOTAM and AIS data)
- COVID-19 Contingency related differences (CCRD) presenting alleviations in safety operational measures
Relief Measures for Airlines
IATA is appealing to governments for relief measures to support the industry in the face of collapsing travel demand, owing to the COVID-19 pandemic and mandated border closures and restrictions on mobility. See below areas of action:
- Governments ticket tax change measures - tax relief measures and payment deferrals
Airport Infrastructure & Charges
- Airport charges reduction - temporary reduction of airport charges for airlines - per country, collected in our Aviation Charges Intelligence Center (ACIC)
- COVID 19: Slots - IATA's position and resources in the Slots area
Relief Measures News
- COVID-19 news a collection of news stories on government relief measures as well as airport and airline news
Other Guidance Materials and References
Safety & Flight Operations
- Guidance for managing aircraft airworthiness for operations during and post pandemic Ed.1, 12 June 2020 (pdf)
- IOSA Guidance for Safety Monitoring under COVID-19 Ed.2 (pdf)
- Bulletin 1: Mitigating Human Factors Hazards in the context of the operating environment during and post COVID-19 (pdf)
- Bulletin 2: Maintaining Competency for ATCOs and Dispatchers During and Post COVID-19 (pdf)
IATA has launched a service for its member airlines that addresses operational reports, questions and information related to COVID restart operations: COVID Reporting Process for Member Airlines
Customer Vouchers Initiatives: Airline vouchers & ticket exchange policies repository
Communication Assets for Industry's Restart
As the industry moves into the restart phase following the COVID-19 pandemic, IATA has developed infographics, visuals, and videos to help restore the travel confidence. Any industry stakeholder can download, use, and promote these assets through their own communication channels as images are copyright free.
Access all restart assets which can be downloaded on IATA's or neutral branding.
See below animations for download: