The BRM is intended to be used as a general reference document for everyone involved with baggage activities, including ground handlers, check-in agents, supervisors, claims officers, operations and station managers, training departments, head office people, and anyone else dealing with baggage or who require a better understanding of the big picture of baggage operations and policy.
The BRM contains the latest best practices in baggage operations and policy. By applying these baggage operations will help to reduce in the number of mishandled bags and related costs as well as increase customer satisfaction in baggage handling.
Order the BRM online
The 4th edition of the BRM is the latest version of the manual which was published in 2019. We recommend digital for its search feature and automatic updates.
What's inside the BRM?
- Part I - The Baggage World (Baggage Resolutions and Recommended Practices, Airport Operational Structure, Baggage Tracking, Messaging and Requirements)
- Part II – The Baggage Journey (Check-in, Security, Storage, Load and Unload, Transfer, Arrival and Claim)
- Part III – The Future of Baggage (Short to Medium Term Future, RFID and XML, Technology Roadmap, The Role of Data in Baggage Operations, The Impact of Data on Baggage Operations)
- Part IV – Most Common Baggage Problems and Solutions (A Guide to Solutions and their Placement, Executive Summary, Baggage Handling Problems, Solutions)
- Part V - Extracts of Baggage Handling Resolutions and Recommended Practices (Extracts of Baggage Related IATA Resolutions, Extracts of Baggage Related IATA Recommended Practices
Stil not sure if BRM is for you? Download the full table of contents with sample pages.
Customers using the latest regulations experience fewer delays, fines, and lost contracts. Thanks to the annual BRM updates, we ensure that the information we provide stays relevant and reliable, so that the users can follow the best current baggage management practices.
Key changes in this year's edition include:
- Electronic Bag Tag (EBT)
- Off-Airport Baggage Services
- Recommendations for a Contactless Baggage Process
- Baggage Handling Procedures
- Modern Messaging Standards Implementation
Partner Cases of Issues in the Baggage Chain
Our partners share their stories on how they improved their baggage operations, reduced their costs and improved as well as enhanced their customer experience:
- South African Airways: Working with Star Alliance
- Star Alliance: Priority Baggage Monitoring and Seamless Hub Connection Center
- SKY ASSIST: The Benefits of a Simplified Interface
- Ultra Electronics: Working with the Airline Community in South Africa and Baggage Segregation