The BRM is intended to be used as a general reference document for everyone involved with baggage activities, including ground handlers, check-in agents, supervisors, claims officers, operations and station managers, training departments, head office people, and anyone else dealing with baggage or who require a better understanding of the big picture of baggage operations and policy.
The BRM contains the latest best practices in baggage operations and policy. By applying these baggage operations will help to reduce in the number of mishandled bags and related costs as well as increase customer satisfaction in baggage handling.
Order the BRM online
The 6th edition of the BRM is the latest version of the manual. We recommend digital for its search feature and automatic updates.
Contact us if you're interested in an enterprise solution for accessing IATA Publications.
2022 Baggage Reference Manual (BRM) Digital
2022 Baggage Reference Manual (BRM) Print
2022 Baggage Reference Manual (BRM) & Passenger Services Conference Resolution Manual (PSCRM) Combo
What's inside the BRM?
- Part I - The Baggage World (Baggage Resolutions and Recommended Practices, Airport Operational Structure, The Generic Baggage Chain, 10-Digit License Plate, Baggage Tracking, Messaging and Requirements, Measuring Quality in the Baggage Area)
- Part II – The Baggage Journey (Check-in, Security, Storage, Load and Unload, Transfer, Arrival and Claim)
- Part III – Most Common Baggage Problems and Solutions (Guide to Solutions and Their Placement in the Baggage Journey, Baggage Handling Problems, Solutions)
- Part IV – The Future of Baggage (Short to Medium Term Future, RFID and XML, Technology Roadmap, The Role of Data in Baggage Operations)
- Appendix A – Extracts of Baggage Handling Resolutions and Recommended Practices (Extracts of Baggage Related IATA Resolutions and Extracts of Baggage Related IATA Recommended Practices)
- Appendix B – Glossary
- Appendix C - Special Section-Recommendations for a "Touch-Free" Baggage Process During the COVID-19 Crisis
Download the full table of contents, list of baggage Resolutions and Recommended Practices, and sample pages
Customers using the latest regulations experience fewer delays, fines, and lost contracts. Thanks to the annual BRM updates, we ensure that the information we provide stays relevant and reliable, so that the users can follow the best current baggage management practices.
New sections include:
- The Future of Baggage – A Vision in the Post Covid World
- Technology trends and solutions
- Resolutions 753, 754 and 780
- Updates of RP1745 and RP1800
- Insights from IATA Global Passenger Survey
- Baggage Tracking Certification Program
Key changes in this year's edition include:
- Electronic Bag Tag (EBT)
- Baggage Security
- Recommendations for a Contactless Baggage Process
- Baggage Handling Procedures
- Modern Messaging Standards Implementation
Partner Cases of Issues in the Baggage Chain
Our partners share their stories on how they improved their baggage operations, reduced their costs and improved as well as enhanced their customer experience:
- South African Airways: Working with Star Alliance
- Star Alliance: Priority Baggage Monitoring and Seamless Hub Connection Center
- SKY ASSIST: The Benefits of a Simplified Interface
- Ultra Electronics: Working with the Airline Community in South Africa and Baggage Segregation