Lithium batteries are dangerous goods and can pose a safety risk if not prepared and shipped in compliance with international transport regulations.
The IATA Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines (LBSG) will guide you step-by-step through the shipping process. It’s everything you need to safely and efficiently prepare lithium battery shipments in compliance with international air transport regulations.
The regulations surrounding the transport of lithium batteries can be complicated and difficult to navigate for companies and individuals who are not familiar with dangerous goods. For this reason, IATA has created these guidelines to assist shippers of lithium batteries and equipment containing lithium batteries in meeting their safety obligations. The LBSG includes everything you need to safely and efficiently prepare lithium battery shipments in compliance with international air transport regulations.
The Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines (LBSG) includes:
- The regulations that are outlined in a convenient, easy-to-read manual designed especially for manufacturers and shippers of lithium batteries
- A guide tailored for shippers and packers to meet their safety obligations related to the safe transport of lithium batteries
- Easy to understand packaging requirements
The LBSG is designed for anyone who ships lithium batteries by air, such as:
- Battery manufacturers
- Manufacturers of equipment powered by lithium batteries
- Consumer electronics retailers
- Wholesalers of all products containing lithium batteries
- Freight forwarders
The IATA Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines (LBSG) are constantly updated to help you stay compliant and avoid mistakes that may result in delays, added costs and in the worst case fines for prosecution!
The key changes in this year's edition of the LBSG include:
- UN 3171 has been included, Battery-powered equipment and Battery-powered vehicle Battery-powered into the list of dangerous goods due to the significant increase in the number of vechicles powered by lithum batteries being transported
- Added additional special provisions that are applicable to UN 3171
- Included Packing Instruction 952, which applies to battery-powered vehicles
- Applied “aggregate lithium content” to lithium metal batteries in PI 968 to PI 970
- A definition of “aggregate lithium content” has been added to the Glossary
Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines 7th edition *** effective as of January 2020 ***
Find out which format is best for you: