Air Transport Statistics (classroom)
Did you know that in the past 3 years, 134 participants from 39 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
4-day (32 hours) classroom course
Under the Chicago Convention, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has been mandated with gathering aviation statistics from contracting States since 1947. This data is used to derive trend level indicators to support the sustainable development of civil aviation activities, concentrating on safety, efficiency and environmental protection. IATA gathers aviation statistics directly from airlines, supporting various airline industry initiatives while monitoring the industry's performance in terms of traffic, employment, financial results, environmental protection and safety. Statistical data are compiled by airlines, airports and civil aviation authorities applying international standards. Aviation statistics are widely used throughout the industry, ranging from monitoring global industry performance to detailed network planning and competitor benchmarking.
You will learn how to recognize the difference between the data gathered by different international organizations such as ICAO, IATA and Airports Council International (ACI). This data provides valuable information on global and regional industry trends, safety, environmental policy and the impact of regulatory changes that you will be able to leverage to give your organization a competitive edge.
Course code: TCVG-58
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company, please complete the in-house training request form
or contact the Training Specialist
in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
United Kingdom, London (IATA)
9 - 12 October, 2023
Register before Apr 09, 2023 to take advantage of the 25% Early Bird discount (only for payment by credit card or ICH)*. The price below includes this discount. *Terms apply
Please register by 18 Sep
Find out more about our Early Bird Terms.
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 173025
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe and interpret the air transport statistics available through the ICAO and IATA air transport statistics programs
- Relate the differences in traffic statistics from the various sources including ACI and the Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO)
- Be conversant about current standards, concepts and methodologies for compiling airline and airport traffic statistics and financial data
- Use statistics for airline industry monitoring, to identify trends, weaknesses and opportunities
- Benchmark how your national carriers are performing in relation to competitors
- Explain the statistics value chain
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Article 67 of the Chicago Convention under which States are required to file reports with Council
- Air transport statistics standards, concepts and methodologies
- ICAO and IATA statistics collections
- Quality Management Systems (QMS) as applied to the provision of data
- Overview of current statistical reports and products
- Statistics from ACI and CANSO
- How airlines and airports use statistical data
- The concept of the statistics value chain
- Case studies to help find a competitive edge through the use of aviation statistics
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Airline, airport and civil aviation managers responsible for traffic monitoring and statistical reporting
- Finance and strategy managers from airports, airlines, civil aviation authorities (CAA) and Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSP)
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
IATA's World Air Transport Statistics (WATS) report
IATA's WATS provides you with all the contextual information you need to identify and analyze opportunities and risks, and evaluate the impact of your strategic decisions to successfully do business in the highly interdependent and constantly changing air transport industry.
Purchase your copy now!