Airline Business Models and Competitive Strategies: virtual simulation program - University of St Gallen (LIVE virtual classroom)
About the course
6-day (40 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
Sharpen your management skills and apply newly acquired knowledge in a real market-based simulation game vying for market share and profitability against fellow professionals from the industry! You will run your own virtual airline using IATA’s pioneering simulation program where you can choose your fleet, network, schedule, pricing and product marketing. Adapted to various market scenarios, it gives you the opportunity to test strategic ideas in a risk-free test environment. Performance reports will show you the impact of your strategic business choices and provide input for your next strategic decisions in the game. The course provides short lectures with more time spent on devising and testing business strategies. Your objective is simple, be the most profitable airline!
This course is part of the IATA - University of St. Gallen Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS) in Global Aviation Management.
Course Code: TALM-62-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by lecturers and professors at the University of St. Gallen.
- The course will take you approximately 40 hours to complete and be held over 6 days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Differentiate airline business models and features
- Translate historical demand into an airline business type with unique network design and product offer
- Recognize what drives airline cost and revenue and adjust your price settings to maximize profitability
- Use operational/commercial inputs to design network strategy and convert strategy to tactics
- Improve problem solving and critical thinking by identifying and capturing market opportunities
- Select aircraft type and financing methods that best fit your network strategy and market environment
- Assess the impact of your strategic decisions and fine-tune your strategy and tactics continuously
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Business models
- Product development
- Network analysis and planning
- Pricing and revenue management
- Aircraft evaluation financing and acquisition
- Aircraft selection and scheduling
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Airline middle and senior management
- Airline pricing and revenue managers
- Airline network development managers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
IATA - University of St Gallen Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS) in Global Air Transport Management
The diploma encompasses 12 courses, which will enable you to explore and analyze topics in-depth, ranging from aviation systems and revenue management to sustainability and change management.