Airport Strategic Management with Business Simulation (Classroom, 10 days)
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 319 participants from 29 countries have taken this course with IATA?
Strategic planning and decision-making: a big picture approach for a big business. Airport managers have the challenging job of ensuring safe, efficient operation in a complex and growing business. This course uses intensive training and exercises to help you identify your airport’s business challenges and address them at the individual, team and unit levels.
Learn key strategic management techniques that will help you keep your operations in line with your strategy and deliver sustainable results. Learn about airport management through this interactive course, providing you with in-depth theory of airport management, which is practically applied in a two-day simulation exercise. Key aspects of airport management will include airport strategy, the balance between capacity and demand, options for airport growth, optimal operational models, appropriate airport charges, market development, and potential for non-aeronautical revenues.
You will be required to analyze the impact of your new airport management skills using a business dashboard, demonstrating your actions to realize positive financial returns on an increase in air traffic growth (above GDP), through revenues, expenses and investments. As a member of the management team in the business simulation exercise, you are responsible for both short-term revenues, including commercial initiatives related to market developments, and the long-term strategy that may include capacity expansion during your virtual 10-year tenure.
IATA has teamed up with Leidos to use their BEONTRA Scenario Planning software to create traffic forecast scenarios, capacity scenarios and estimate aviation and non-aviation revenues, as well as cost scenarios.
BEONTRA Scenario Planning is dedicated to answering ’what-if‘ scenarios through fast scenario building times and high scenario scalability, thus enabling fast and accurate modelling. BEONTRA Scenario Planning bridges the gap between Excel spreadsheets and simulation.
Over 40 international airports use BEONTRA Scenario Planning to run highly detailed analyses focusing on:
- flight schedule based, highly accurate passenger traffic forecasts,
- passenger arrivals at different nodes (filters) in the passenger process (arrival, departure, transfer),
- capacity constraints (number of counters, lanes, gates etc. as well as areas)
- over time horizons from 1 day to several years (operational, tactical and strategic planning horizons).
All modules of the BEONTRA Scenario Planning Suite are based on state-of-the art web application technology (accessible via the web browser and internet/ intranet connection).
At Leidos, our aviation heritage is unmatched; and our focus on innovation, research and development is key in developing more eﬃcient and eﬀective airport operations into the future. Over the past decade, BEONTRA has developed an integrated corporate scenario planning software suite for airports (BEONTRA Scenario Planning), which enables companies to create traffic forecast scenarios, capacity scenarios and estimate aviation and non-aviation revenues as well as cost scenarios.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TAPG-04
- This classroom course provides 10 days (80 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Switzerland, Geneva (IATA)
13 - 24 September, 2021
Register before 23 Aug, 2021 to take advantage of the USD100 Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 23 Aug
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132479
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
22 November - 3 December, 2021
Register before 22 Aug, 2021 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 01 Nov
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132902
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Formulate airport performance objectives and plan the activities used to achieve them
- Manage your staff, resources, facilities and technology with a focus on attaining strategic goals
- Align your marketing, financial management, and customer service activities to your strategic goals
- Ensure sustainable quality and compliance across an airport’s business and operations, using quality as a key driver for change
- Conduct ongoing evaluation and benchmarking exercises to measure the success of your strategic activities
- Oversee expansion, funding and investor relations with a long-term focus
- Strategic management tools
- Quality management and benchmarking
- Performance measurement: balanced scorecard
- Organizational structure and strategic goals
- Master planning
- Business management
- Financial management
- Management models and outsourcing
- Managing risks and changes in air transport industry
- Talent management
- Information technology
- Marketing management
- Airport marketing principles
- Business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-consumer (B2C) relations
- Pricing strategies
- Airport business background
- Airports within air transport system
- The airport business environment
- Airport economics and business concept
- Case studies
- Integration exercise
- Airport Business Simulation Game
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
Air transport professionals taking on leadership positions
Airport authority representatives
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: