Data Protection – Key Principles and International Framework (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
About the course
Data breach penalties can be very high but reputational loss comes at an even higher cost! Put your money to better use by learning to evaluate the reasons that hinder a global consensus on how to balance the right of privacy. You will also explore the needs of governments and commercial organizations to collect and use personal data. At the end of the course you will be able to identify solutions to keep your clients happy, their data safe and avoid sanctions. Over the 2-day virtual instructor-led training you will be provided with the background on how data protection has evolved and a full view on where this is today. You will be able to identify the best ways to keep your business running and how to keep your own data and your customers’ data safe.
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 8 hours to complete and be held over 2 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify characteristics of our modern technological age that necessitate the regulation of collection, storage and transfer of data
- Explain the major activities on data protection carried out by international actors, such as the Council of Europe and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Evaluate the data protection principles
- Evaluate how the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) affects multinational corporations and non-EU corporations
- European Convention on Human Rights
- OECD Guidelines on the Protection of Privacy and Trans-border Flows of Personal Data
- Convention for the protection of individuals with regard to the automatic processing of personal data
- Safe harbor agreement
- EU GDPR
- Rights of data subjects
- Cross-border data transfer
- Enforcement, sanctions and remedies
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Information security professionals
- Lawyers and legal professionals
- Compliance officers
- Data protection officers
- Risk and privacy managers
- Professionals handling personal data
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Aviation Policy and Regulations Diploma
An overview of the regulatory and legal regimes, as well as the international industry affairs applicable to all aspects of the aviation industry.
International Air Law Diploma
A comprehensive overview of the legal regimes applicable to all aspects of the aviation industry.