International Air Law for Lawyers and Legal Professionals (Classroom, 5 days)
Some of these topics are also explored in the following virtual classroom course:
Did you know that in the past 3 years, 214 participants from 70 countries have taken this course with IATA?
Strengthen your understanding of the context and requirements of international air law, air service agreements, open skies agreements and traffic rights. Demonstrate sound skills in applying airline liability regimes and international security treaties. Learn how to negotiate both, public and private international air law treaties.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TALL-01
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
United Kingdom, London (IATA)
13 - 17 September, 2021
Register before 15 Jun, 2021 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 23 Aug
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132457
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
18 - 22 October, 2021
Register before 20 Jul, 2021 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 27 Sep
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132976
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the Chicago Convention 1944, its importance for aviation and what led to bilateralism
- Analyze and understand the Freedoms of the Air
- Analyze and understand private international air law instruments on liability (Warsaw system and ground liability) and its provisions
- Describe the concepts and provisions of code sharing, interlining and their respective agreements
- Public International Air Law
- The Chicago Convention 1944
- Sovereignty and Freedoms of the Air
- Multilateral agreement on international air transportation (Open Skies)
- Private International Air Law (liability rules)
- Warsaw and Montreal Conventions
- Third party surface damage claims
- Code share agreements and liability
- International aviation security regimes
- Case studies
- Group discussions
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Airline in-house counsel
- Aviation lawyers in private practice
- Government officials involved in the air transport sector
- Lawyers in related fields seeking an understanding of the international aviation industry
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Rotimi Oguneso, Abdullahi Ibrahim and Co
It was really a valuable experience for me being exposed to the basic principles of International Aviation Law and the myriad conventions, protocols, practices and regulations that makes the course very interesting and exciting. More exciting is the willingness of other colleagues to share their knowledge and experience with someone like me who was starting from ground zero with regard to aviation law.