Shipping Lithium Batteries by Air (Classroom, 2 days)
Some of these topics are also explored in the following virtual classroom course:
Acquire the skills and knowledge to pack and ship lithium ion and lithium metal cells and batteries by air, in compliance with the regulatory requirements of the ICAO Technical Instruction and IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR). Over two days, you will examine the classification and identification of dangerous goods, with particular focus on lithium batteries, and learn how to complete the necessary documentation, marking, labelling and packaging of shipments. You will learn about the limitations to transport of lithium batteries by air, as well as emergency procedures in the event of an incident or accident.
This course is based on the content of the IATA Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines, a comprehensive guide designed for shippers and packer to meet their safety obligations related to the safe transport of dangerous goods by air. This course is recommended for Category 1, 2, 3 personnel as per Table 1.5.A of the IATA DGR.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TCGP-52
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Belgium, Brussels (IATA)
14 - 15 September, 2020
Register before 24 Aug, 2020 for a USD100 discount
Please register by 24 Aug
All prices are before tax. Class no: 110357
2 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
United States, Miami (IATA, ACCET Accredited)
19 - 20 October, 2020
Register before 21 Jul, 2020 for a 20% discount
Please register by 28 Sep
All prices are before tax. Class no: 110367
Korea, Republic of, Incheon (IAAA-HST)
21 - 22 December, 2020
Register before 22 Sep, 2020 for a 20% discount
Please register by 30 Nov
All prices are before tax. Class no: 109460
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the basis and applicability of the IATA DGR
- Apply the states and operation variations
- Identify and classify the 9 hazard classes including provisions of lithium batteries
- Apply the applicable special provisions
- Apply the provisions for packing, marking and labelling of shipments containing lithium batteries
- Complete transport documentation (dangerous goods documentation and air waybill - AWB) and any other accompanied documents related to the transport of lithium batteries
- State the relevant emergency response and reporting procedure
- Definition of dangerous goods (DG)
- Application of the IATA DGR
- Responsibilities of shippers, packers and freight forwarders
- Limitations applicable to the transport of DG by air
- Classification of the 9 hazard classes including the provision of lithium batteries
- Identification of special provisions
- Packing provisions
- Marking and labelling requirements
- Required transport documentation including DGD and AWB
- Dangerous goods emergency response and reporting requirements
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Manufacturers of cells and batteries
- Battery assemblers
- Shippers and packers
- Other operators handling lithium batteries
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade level of 80% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to all participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
Please note: The course title on your certificate will include the DGR Category of the course - Lithium Batteries by Air - Shipping and Packing
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: