Perishable Cargo Transportation (classroom)
You can also take this course online in a LIVE virtual classroom setting:
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 163 participants from 35 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
2-day (16 hours) classroom course
Gain the knowledge required to ship perishable cargo safely complying with industry standards meanwhile identifying interesting business development opportunities for your company. Whether it concerns fruits, pharmaceuticals, vegetables, frozen fish or flowers, perishables are, due to their nature, often shipped via air. These products are usually for human consumption, have a short shelf life and closely monitored by national government bodies. Ensuring this cargo is delivered at its destination within the best conditions requires a thorough understanding of the most up-to-date regulations and procedures. This course provides a detailed insight into the proper handling of perishable cargo.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TCGP-21
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have prior knowledge of air cargo procedures
- Recommended level is Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
2 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
United States, Miami (IATA, ACCET Accredited)
21 - 22 November, 2022
Register before 21 Aug, 2022 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount (only for payment by credit card or ICH)*. The price below includes this discount. *Terms apply
Please register by 31 Oct
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 148584
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Improve time and temperature-sensitive cargo management with latest methods and techniques
- Explore the latest industry trends and types of perishable commodities transported by air
- Understand global government controls to reduce your business exposure
- Identify new market opportunities
- In depth understanding of the procedures and documents to improve service
- Use the current IATA Perishable Cargo Regulations (PCR) in line with other applicable publications
- How to use IATA’s Perishable Cargo Regulations manual
- Government and airline regulations
- Carrier regulations
- Shipper’s and airline’s responsibilities
- Perishable types and their classification
- Packaging types
- Documentation and labelling
- Acceptance and control
- Perishable handling procedures
- ULD and airport operations
- Damage, claims and tracking
- Air transport of cut flowers
- CITES regulations
- Case studies
- Practical examples
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- All Cargo operations and ground handling staff responsible for handling any type of perishable cargo
- Cargo customer service and sales staff at airlines and cargo agents.
- Logistics/transportation department staff at shippers preparing perishable cargo for air transportation.
- Instructional designers and instructors responsible for cargo training
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Special Cargo Handling Diploma
Safely and efficiently handle special commodities.