3-day (24 hours) classroom course
As a Destination Marketing Organization (DMO), are your marketing strategies based on the right sources of data? Are you facing the challenge to balance tourist arrivals with the protection of your environment and sustainability? Destination management is increasingly crucial in the world of travel and tourism as DMOs compete to create competitive advantages to differentiate from others. While doing so, DMOs need to balance maximizing tourism arrivals and spending with protecting from over-tourism to ensure long-term sustainability of the destination brand. At IATA, we understand these challenges and have designed this course with industry experts to help DMOs build an effective strategy for promoting destinations. As a DMO professional, you will learn through hands-on exercises and case studies how to prioritize your spending on the most effective segments. You will also determine how to use technology and other tools to make informed decisions to maximize your return on investments.
Course Code: TTTP-11
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 or the equivalent for courses held in languages other than English.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company, please complete the in-house training request form or contact the Training Specialist in your region.
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify best practices for sustainable destination management to balance tourism growth with Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) goals
- Evaluate strategic tools and objectives of DMOs
- Apply relevant data to make informed and efficient marketing spend decisions
- Build an effective marketing strategy and plan
- Relate which strategies have been successful and why
- Explain new technologies and emerging changes in destination management best practices
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Sustainable destination management
- The typical “Do’s and Don’ts” for DMOs
- The value and application of historical data
- Sources of data for informed decision making
- Marketing channels and their effectiveness
- Consumer segments and geographies matrix
- Search engine optimization and social media
- New possibilities for destination marketing
- Business strategy and marketing decisions
- Effective KPIs for DMOs
- Connected and seamless customer journey
- Impact of technology on customer behavior
- Pre-course materials
- Group activities, exercises, case studies and practical examples
This course is recommended for:
- All DMO senior and mid-management roles
- Brand and destination strategy professionals
- Public relations experts in tourism industry
- Local tourism association board members
- Representatives of ministries of tourism, transport and/or economic development
- Travel agencies and tour operators
- Professionals aspiring to build careers in destination management
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.