The IATA Ground Operations Manual (IGOM) standardizes ground handling processes and procedures to reduce the complexity between working with multiple airlines, airports and ground service providers.
Standardizing ground and ramp operations for airlines can help drive down costs, reduce the risk of aircraft damages and simplify training requirements. The IGOM has also been known as an acceptable means of compliance for a reference tool for ISAGO audits.
Order the IGOM online
If you are new to the IGOM, all versions are updated annually. Digital products come with automatic updates for the year and a search function that makes finding current information easy. Plus, it's cheaper.
Note: IATA Ground Operations Manual is a complementary manual to Airport Handling Manual (AHM). Buy them together and save. The IGOM is procedure driven, focusing on “how to do”. The AHM is policy driven and focuses on “what to do”.
You can benefit from Volume discounts on IGOM when purchasing the AHM & IGOM Combos: 10% discount for 5-9 units, 20% for 10-24 units, 30% for 25-99 units and 40% for 100 units or more. Contact our sales team for volume orders.
What's inside the IGOM
- Chapter 1 – Passenger handling procedures (passenger departure, passenger security, passenger arrival, transfer and transit)
- Chapter 2 – Baggage handling procedures (cabin baggage, checked baggage, offloading of checked baggage, mishandled or unclaimed baggage)
- Chapter 3 – Aircraft general safety/servicing operations (ramp safety in aircraft handling, safety during fueling/defueling, adverse weather conditions, hand signals)
- Chapter 4 – Aircraft turn-around (aircraft arrival, aircraft doors, aircraft departure, aircraft towing)
- Chapter 5 – Load control (load control principles, regulatory requirements, qualification requirements, documentation)
- Chapter 6 – Airside safety operational oversight (turnaround coordination/supervision requirements, reporting-incidents, accidents and near-misses, airside safety investigation procedure, emergency response procedures)
Still not sure if the IGOM is for you? Download the full table of contents with over 15 sample pages.
The IGOM is published every year.
Each year, significant changes are done to processes and procedures, that's why we publish a new version of the IGOM every year.
The significant changes that were made to the 9th IGOM include:
- Inclusion of the IGOM Adoption Policy
- Enhanced Baggage Handling procedures, in line with IATA Baggage resolutions
- Safety Instruction for continuous improvement of GSE operations and the use of Electric Baggage Tags and ULD Transporter procedures
- Revised Aircraft Turnaround section to include sequencing of tasks for the reduction of loading errors
- Updated Gap Analysis spreadsheet
Please see a temporary revision that is applicable to those who have received the IGOM book before 20th February, 2020. This revision is not applicable for any IGOM book received after this date or to any users of electronic format of IGOM.
Temporary Revision FEB 2020 (pdf)
(applicable to users who have purchased IGOM book until 20th February 2020)
Ground Operations Training
You can learn more about ground operations ensuring compliance with industry standards by taking ground operations courses.