The IATA Ground Operations Manual (IGOM) standardizes ground handling processes and procedures to reduce the complexity between working with multiple airlines, airports and ground service providers.
Standardizing ground and ramp operations for airlines can help drive down costs, reduce the risk of aircraft damages and simplify training requirements. The IGOM has also been known as an acceptable means of compliance for a reference tool for ISAGO audits.
Order the 2021 IGOM online
If you are new to the IGOM, all versions are updated annually. Digital products come with automatic updates for the year and a search function that makes finding current information easy. Plus, it's cheaper.
Note: IATA Ground Operations Manual is a complementary manual to Airport Handling Manual (AHM). Buy them together and save. The IGOM is procedure driven, focusing on “how to do”. The AHM is policy driven and focuses on “what to do”.
You can benefit from Volume discounts on IGOM when purchasing the AHM & IGOM Combos: 10% discount for 5-9 units, 20% for 10-24 units, 30% for 25-99 units and 40% for 100 units or more. Contact our sales team for volume orders.
To purchase the 2020 edition of the AHM & IGOM combo that is effective until December 31, 2020, visit our online store.
What's inside the IGOM
- Chapter 1 – Passenger handling procedures (passenger departure, passenger security, passenger arrival, transfer and transit)
- Chapter 2 – Baggage handling procedures (cabin baggage, checked baggage, offloading of checked baggage, mishandled or unclaimed baggage)
- Chapter 3 – Aircraft general safety/servicing operations (ramp safety in aircraft handling, safety during fueling/defueling, adverse weather conditions, hand signals)
- Chapter 4 – Aircraft turn-around (aircraft arrival, aircraft doors, aircraft departure, aircraft towing)
- Chapter 5 – Load control (load control principles, regulatory requirements, qualification requirements, documentation)
- Chapter 6 – Airside safety operational oversight (turnaround coordination/supervision requirements, reporting-incidents, accidents and near-misses, airside safety investigation procedure, emergency response procedures)
Still not sure if the IGOM is for you? Download the full table of contents with over 15 sample pages.
Each year, significant changes are done to processes and procedures, that's why we publish a new version of the IGOM every year.
The significant changes that were made to the 10th IGOM include:
Changes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Chapter 3 - Aircraft Cleaning (non-COVID-19 and COVID-19 changes)
- Chapter 4 - Aircraft Ground Movement
- Ground Handling during COVID-19
- Transportation of Cargo in Cabin
- Chapter 1 - Passenger Handling procedures
- Chapter 3 - Potable water servicing
- New graphics and animation for Aircraft Marshalling and Hand Signals
Please see a temporary revision that is applicable to those who have received the IGOM book before 20th February, 2020. This revision is not applicable for any IGOM book received after this date or to any users of electronic format of IGOM.
Temporary Revision FEB 2020 (pdf)
(applicable to users who have purchased IGOM book until 20th February 2020)
Ground Operations Training
You can learn more about ground operations ensuring compliance with industry standards by taking ground operations courses.