The IATA Ground Operations Manual (IGOM) standardizes ground handling processes and procedures to reduce the complexity between working with multiple airlines, airports and ground service providers.
Standardizing ground and ramp operations for airlines can help drive down costs, reduce the risk of aircraft damages and simplify training requirements. The IGOM has also been known as an acceptable means of compliance for a reference tool for ISAGO audits.
Order the 2022 IGOM online
If you are new to the IGOM, all versions are updated annually. Digital products come with automatic updates for the year and a search function that makes finding current information easy. Plus, it's cheaper.
Note: IATA Ground Operations Manual is a complementary manual to Airport Handling Manual (AHM). Buy them together and save. The IGOM is procedure driven, focusing on “how to do”. The AHM is policy driven and focuses on “what to do”.
Contact us if you're interested in an enterprise solution for accessing IATA Publications.
You can benefit from Volume discounts on IGOM when purchasing the AHM & IGOM Combos: 10% discount for 5-9 units, 20% for 10-24 units, 30% for 25-99 units and 40% for 100 units or more. Contact our sales team for volume orders.
To purchase the 2021 edition of the AHM & IGOM combo that is effective until December 31, 2021, visit our online store.
What's inside the IGOM
- Chapter 1 – Passenger handling procedures (passenger departure, passenger security, passenger arrival, transfer and transit)
- Chapter 2 – Baggage handling procedures (cabin baggage, checked baggage, offloading of checked baggage, mishandled or unclaimed baggage)
- Chapter 3 – Aircraft general safety/servicing operations (ramp safety in aircraft handling, safety during fueling/defueling, adverse weather conditions, hand signals)
- Chapter 4 – Aircraft turn-around (aircraft arrival, aircraft doors, aircraft departure, aircraft towing)
- Chapter 5 – Load control (load control principles, regulatory requirements, qualification requirements, documentation)
- Chapter 6 – Airside safety operational oversight (turnaround coordination/supervision requirements, reporting-incidents, accidents and near-misses, airside safety investigation procedure, emergency response procedures)
Still not sure if the IGOM is for you? Download the full table of contents with over 15 sample pages.
Each year, significant changes are done to processes and procedures, that's why we publish a new version of the IGOM every year.
The significant changes that were made to the 11th IGOM include:
- Enhancement of procedure in regard to Documents required to travel to include travel documents, visas and health documents (Chapter 1)
- Handling of Passenger with Disability (change of terminology from PRM to PWD in line with UN Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 9) (Chapter 1)
- Correction of table under Identification/Labelling of ULD (Chapter 4)
- Chapter 6 entirely updated: previously addressed Airside Safety Operational oversight and, now, revised to focus on entire operational oversight to maintain a systemic standard on oversight at all operational areas with a main focus on supervisory level staff
Ground Operations Training
You can learn more about ground operations ensuring compliance with industry standards by taking ground operations courses.