45-hour partner-taught or self-study IATA course plus 30 hours for the HMM© self-study modules
In a rapidly changing environment, airports have to adapt to economic downturns, technological changes, market changes, airline commercial deregulation, and the worldwide trend to convert airports from government organizations to more business-like entities. These pressures have or have had or are having significant effects on the way airports do business, not only from a financial perspective but also from an operational standpoint. In these challenging times, and with emerging competition from other airports and other modes of transportation, it is of the utmost importance that airports recruit and provide employees and managers with the best available knowledge and skills. This course was prepared to provide you with a solid overview of the airport operations field and with tools to apply your knowledge and skills to your airport. It is designed to be useful not only for your own benefit but also to help you make better decisions for your organization.
This training program combines IATA's trusted Airport Operations Fundamentals course with Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course Code: TAPP-14-HLM
IATA Airport Operations Fundamentals course
- This is a partner-taught or self-study course, which will take you approximately 45 hours to complete, depending on your previous knowledge and experience.
- The course materials are provided in e-book and printed format. Please choose the format when you register.
- You will have 12 months to complete the course and exam (enrollment validity), which starts from the date you purchase the course.
- The recommended level for this course is Entry-level.
- Performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
Please note: Once you have completed the exam you will no longer have access to the course material, and after the 12-month enrollment validity expires you will no longer have access to the course content, nor will you be able to take the exam.
10 HMM© courses
- Additional time will be required for the 10 HMM© modules. Each HMM© self-study module requires approximately 2-4 hours of study. Access to the HMM© platform is valid for 6 months (enrollment validity) from the date access is provided, with exams administered online.
Study with the help of an Instructor
If you would prefer to study this course with the help of a local trainer, enrol at an IATA Authorized Training Center near you.
- Enrollment fees include both the IATA course and access to the HMM© platform. Upon payment, you will receive access to all HMM© content for a six-month period. If you are ordering printed materials that will require shipping, please check the shipping fees and applicable taxes.
- When you click to purchase the course, you will be directed to login to your Training Account through our Customer Portal. If you have previously taken a course with IATA, please have your login details ready, if not, you will be prompted to create an account.
Important: Please note that if you are purchasing courses for more than one person, a Training Account must be created for each individual. Registration and payment must be made through each individual Training Account. You may pay for multiple individuals by using one credit card or bank transfer in each individual’s users Account. If you pay by bank transfer, please attach a copy of the bank transfer issued by the sender’s bank to each individual order. If you are a company wishing to purchase courses for 10 or more employees, please Contact our Customer Service representatives for more information on how to register multiple users.
Upon completing this course you will:
- Know the history of aviation and understand the role airports play in the economy
- Discover the various airport customers and partners
- Gain knowledge about the multiple operational and business functions of airports
- Acquire the tools to apply your knowledge and skills to your airport environment
- Build or refresh management and leadership skills
- Respond to management challenges effectively
The key topics that are covered during this IATA course include:
- Operational functions of the airport
- Rescue, fire fighting and other support services
- Airport issues and challenges
- The future of airports
- Technological developments
- Harvard ManageMentor modules
HMM © access
This valuable online reference tool used by companies around the world will help you handle day-to-day management issues. The Harvard ManageMentor© content summary provides an outline of the courses which offer on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
- Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
- Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
- Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
- Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
- Post-topic, on-the-job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
This course is recommended for:
- Recently appointed airport staff
- Travel industry staff
- Newcomers to the industry
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants successfully passing the final IATA exam.
Please read the information about Online Exams with Remote Supervision (OERS), and check the Course Edition List for Exams (pdf) when booking your exam.
- Method: Online exam with remote supervision (OERS)
- Format: 100 multiple-choice questions. Closed course book exam.
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60% correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90% correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
Harvard ManageMentor© Exam
A Harvard ManageMentor© Certificate of Completion is awarded for each module, provided you obtain a passing grade of 70%. You may track your progress within the HMM© platform.
- Method: Online assessment
- Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of questions: 10 or less per HMM© module
- Time allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
How to claim your Diploma
Upon successful completion of the 10 required HMM© modules and the IATA course, please Contact Us
to claim your IATA Leadership and Management Diploma.