Airport Terminal Planning and Design (Classroom)
Some of these topics are also explored in the following virtual classroom course:
Did you know that in the past 3 years, 237 participants from 44 countries have taken this course with IATA?
Explore the principles of terminal design, optimal passenger flows and balanced capacity based on IATA standards. Learn how to plan a terminal that can flexibly respond to future challenges and opportunities. Participate in an interactive environment facilitated by experienced and accredited subject matter experts. The passenger terminal is one of the most important, complicated and costly elements of an airport, and serves as the link between air and surface modes of travel. How a terminal is planned and designed is critical to determine if an airport is successful in efficiently meeting its user’s future needs.
This course provides a comprehensive overview of airport terminal planning and design and will appeal to those that would like a more in-depth understanding of the subject or build upon existing experience by expanding their knowledge of specific topics. The curriculum is based on the latest global standards from the 11th edition of the Airport Development Reference Manual (ADRM) and will help you understand the key concepts and considerations involved.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TAPG-39
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have basic knowledge and experience on airport infrastructure and operations.
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Switzerland, Geneva (IATA)
4 - 8 October, 2021
Register before 04 Jul, 2021 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 13 Sep
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132762
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe fundamental terminal planning and design concepts and planning assumptions.
- Improve how you integrate user and technical infrastructure requirements into your terminal.
- Identify terminal capacity and Level of Service (LOS).
- Recognize opportunities for infrastructure improvements that can increase passenger convenience and revenues.
- Airport terminal conceptual design
- Terminal capacity, demand analysis and LOS
- Computer simulation of terminal flows
- Terminal operations support systems
- Baggage handling systems
- Terminal security planning and facilitation
- Airport access and landside facilities
- Automated People Mover (APM) and Passenger Boarding Bridge (PBB)
- Sustainable design
Who should attend
This course is recommended for Personnel involved with airport projects:
- Consulting/Engineering/Architecture firms
- Airport authorities, Government agencies
- Airport and Airline management
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
Deppy Sigala, Planning & Design Manager, Fraport Greece
This training covers a plethora of issues regarding Terminal design, and will be very useful in my role with Fraport. It covers the complete spectrum of Terminal design. I've found the most useful has been the calculations of processes. The Instructor shared real airport examples for every part of the theory, making it easier to grasp. Our class consisted of participants from various professional and cultural backgrounds, and their shared experiences were super interesting and helpful.