60-70 hour partner-taught or self-study IATA course plus 30 hours for the HMM© self-study modules
The IATA Ground Operations Management course is designed to equip you with knowledge of station control and supervision. You will learn how about the key drivers to meet your station's handling needs, reduce costs and provide quality service. Safety and security are paramount in the aviation industry, and you will learn how to implement a safety and security station management system according to industry standards and recommended practices. Using the latest edition of the IATA Airport Handling Manual (AHM) as a key reference throughout the course. You will gain a deep understanding of the manual and learn how to apply it to real-world situations. The course will also cover important topics such as airport operations, airport security, and emergency planning. By the end of the course, you will be equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary to successfully manage an airline station.
This training program combines IATA's trusted Ground Operations Management course with Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course code: TALP-52-HLM
IATA Ground Operations Management course
- This is a partner-taught or self-study course, which will take you approximately 60-70 hours to complete, depending on your previous knowledge and experience.
- The course materials are provided in e-book.
- You will have 12 months to complete the course and exam (enrollment validity), which starts from the date you purchase the course.
- The recommended level for this course is Entry-level.
- Performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
- You are recommended to have at least 2 years of professional experience across ground handling functions.
Please note: Once you have completed the exam you will no longer have access to the course material, and after the 12-month enrollment validity expires you will no longer have access to the course content, nor will you be able to take the exam.
10 HMM© courses
- Additional time will be required for the 10 HMM© modules. Each HMM© self-study module requires approximately 2-4 hours of study. Access to the HMM© platform is valid for 6 months (enrollment validity) from the date access is provided, with exams administered online.
Study with the help of an Instructor
If you would prefer to study this course with the help of a local trainer, enrol at an IATA Authorized Training Center near you.
- Enrollment fees include both the IATA course and access to the HMM© platform. Upon payment, you will receive access to all HMM© content for a six-month period. Please also refer to applicable taxes.
- When you click to purchase the course, you will be directed to login to your Training Account through our Customer Portal. If you have previously taken a course with IATA, please have your login details ready, if not, you will be prompted to create an account.
Important: Please note that if you are purchasing courses for more than one person, a Training Account must be created for each individual. Registration and payment must be made through each individual Training Account. You may pay for multiple individuals by using one credit card or bank transfer in each individual’s users Account. If you pay by bank transfer, please attach a copy of the bank transfer issued by the sender’s bank to each individual order. If you are a company wishing to purchase courses for 10 or more employees, please Contact our Customer Service representatives for more information on how to register multiple users.
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Control and supervise an airline station in a self-handled or outsourced environment
- Use Ground Handling and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to suit your Stations handling needs, reduce costs and provide quality service
- Prevent fraud by being knowledgeable about the current methods that fraudsters use to dilute airline revenues
- Implement a Safety and Security Station Management System according to industry standards and recommended practices
- Motivate staff and effectively monitor their performance
- Use and work with the latest edition of the IATA Airport Handling Manual (AHM) which is included in the course price.
- Build or refresh management and leadership skills
- Respond to management challenges effectively
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- The importance of Operational and Occupational Health and Safety training
- Managing risk and the components of Emergency Response Plans (ERPs)
- The use of SGHA contracts and Service Level Agreements
- Operational standards in the IATA Airport Handling Manual (AHM)
- The latest trends in passenger/baggage handling and catering
This course covers the many aspects of ground operations for which IATA has developed recommended industry standards and procedures, as detailed in the IATA Airport Handling Manual (AHM). Each participant will receive the Ground Operations Management course book and a complimentary copy of the latest IATA Airport Handling Manual (AHM) manual in e-book format. It is an indispensable field publication that you will refer to throughout this course and in your day-to-day duties. The AHM represents a value of $587 included in the price of this course!
This valuable online reference tool, used by companies around the world, will help you handle day-to-day management issues.
HMM offers the following on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
- Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
- Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
- Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
- Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
- Post-topic, On-the-Job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
This course is recommended for:
- Airlines, ground handling and other service providers
- Airport authorities
- Ground operations professionals at a supervisory level
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants successfully passing the final IATA exam.
Please read the information about Online Exams with Remote Supervision (OERS), and check the Course Edition List for Exams (pdf) when booking your exam.
- Method: Online exam with remote supervision (OERS)
- Format: 100 multiple-choice questions. Closed course book exam.
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60% correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90% correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
Harvard ManageMentor© Exam
A Harvard ManageMentor© Certificate of Completion is awarded for each module, provided you obtain a passing grade of 70%. You may track your progress within the HMM© platform.
- Method: Online assessment
- Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of questions: 10 or less per HMM© module
- Time allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
How to claim your Diploma
Upon successful completion of the 10 required HMM© modules and the IATA course, please Contact Us
to claim your IATA Leadership and Management Diploma.