65-80 hour partner-taught or self-study IATA course plus 30 hours for the HMM© self-study modules
Learn what it takes to work at one of the airline’s industry most visible airport position and obtain the skills you need to provide assistance and related passenger services at the check-in, gate and concourse of your airport. The course complements the training requirements outlined in the IATA Airport Handling Manual (AHM), the IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations (ISAGO) and the IATA Passenger Services Conference Resolutions Manual (PSCRM).
This training program combines IATA's trusted Passenger Ground Services course with Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course code: TALP-51-HLM
IATA Passenger Ground Services course
- This is a partner-taught or self-study course, which will take you approximately 65-80 hours to complete, depending on your previous knowledge and experience.
- The course materials are provided in e-book format.
- You will have 12 months to complete the course and exam (enrollment validity), which starts from the date you purchase the course.
- The recommended level for this course is Entry-level.
- Performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
Please note: Once you have completed the exam you will no longer have access to the course material, and after the 12-month enrollment validity expires you will no longer have access to the course content, nor will you be able to take the exam.
10 HMM© courses
- Additional time will be required for the 10 HMM© modules. Each HMM© self-study module requires approximately 2-4 hours of study. Access to the HMM© platform is valid for 6 months (enrollment validity) from the date access is provided, with exams administered online.
Study with the help of an Instructor
If you would prefer to study this course with the help of a local trainer, enrol at an IATA Authorized Training Center near you.
- Enrollment fees include both the IATA course and access to the HMM© platform. Upon payment, you will receive access to all HMM© content for a six-month period. Please also refer to applicable taxes.
- When you click to purchase the course, you will be directed to login to your Training Account through our Customer Portal. If you have previously taken a course with IATA, please have your login details ready, if not, you will be prompted to create an account.
Important: Please note that if you are purchasing courses for more than one person, a Training Account must be created for each individual. Registration and payment must be made through each individual Training Account. You may pay for multiple individuals by using one credit card or bank transfer in each individual’s users Account. If you pay by bank transfer, please attach a copy of the bank transfer issued by the sender’s bank to each individual order. If you are a company wishing to purchase courses for 10 or more employees, please Contact our Customer Service representatives for more information on how to register multiple users.
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Understand how airlines and airports operate in relation to the provision of passenger services
- Learn about passenger and baggage check-in & boarding procedures, including passengers with special needs
- Interpret the respective regulatory requirements related to passenger and baggage transport
- Understand how computer reservations and departure control systems operate
- Ensure safe and secure passenger & baggage transport
- Provide superior customer service in a demanding customer facing environment
- Learn about the latest technological innovations in passenger services
- Add value to existing and future employers looking to hire and retain knowledgeable and high performing personnel
The key topics that are covered during this IATA course include:
Introduction to airport and airline operations
Computer Reservations (CRS) and Departure Control Systems (DCS) functions
Passenger and Baggage check-in procedures (airport and off-site)
Conditions of passenger and baggage carriage, boarding procedures and flight close-out messaging
Dangerous Goods regulations awareness for passenger service agents
Managing passenger interactions
Aviation security procedures for passenger and baggage transport
Enhanced passenger facilitation, latest innovations and career opportunities
HMM © access
This valuable online reference tool used by companies around the world will help you handle day-to-day management issues. The Harvard ManageMentor© content summary provides an outline of the courses which offer on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
- Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
- Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
- Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
- Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
- Post-topic, on-the-job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
This course is recommended for:
- Airline passenger service staff
Ground Handling Agents’ passenger services staff
Airport operators’ staff providing passenger services
Civil Aviation Authorities’ staff providing passenger services
Anyone wishing to start a career as a Passenger Service Agent
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants successfully passing the final IATA exam.
Please read the information about Online Exams with Remote Supervision (OERS), and check the Course Edition List for Exams (pdf) when booking your exam.
- Method: Online exam with remote supervision (OERS)
- Format: 100 multiple-choice questions. Closed course book exam.
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60% correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90% correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
Harvard ManageMentor© Exam
A Harvard ManageMentor© Certificate of Completion is awarded for each module, provided you obtain a passing grade of 70%. You may track your progress within the HMM© platform.
- Method: Online assessment
- Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of questions: 10 or less per HMM© module
- Time allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
How to claim your Diploma
Upon successful completion of the 10 required HMM© modules and the IATA course, please Contact Us
to claim your IATA Leadership and Management Diploma.