Safety Management System (SMS) for ANS Providers (LIVE Virtual Classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
About the course
4-day (20 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) are required to develop and operate a Safety Management System (SMS) meeting State safety oversight requirements as recommended by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in Annex 19. The objective of any SMS is to ensure safe operations, improve operational efficiency and maintain aviation safety globally. This course includes modules that are designed to build upon an existing core level of knowledge in SMS and to advance your learning with a detailed understanding of how an SMS should be implemented and maintained within an Air Traffic Management environment. The modules will also provide you with ATS specialty-specific insights. A holistic approach to safety that encourages the integration of all aspects of aviation operations (air traffic services, airline operations, airport operations) will be explored.
Course Code: TCVL-07-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 20 hours to complete and be held over 4 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 150 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- Participants should have
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
1 additional classes are scheduled
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Outline the role of the State safety oversight and how it applies to ANSP SMS regulatory requirements
- Explain how to align an ANSP SMS with the SMS aims of airport and aircraft operators to ensure mutual safety goals are understood
- Plan and manage specific ANSP safety management activities utilizing the recommended processes outlined in Version 4 of ICAO 9859
- Discuss and share insights and practical experiences and apply your learning through case studies
- Increase safety awareness and reduce operational risks within your organization
- Review of basic SMS concepts as outlined in ICAO Doc 9859 Safety Management Manual
- Safety objectives
- Safety performance management
- Safety data collection and processing systems
- Safety analysis
- Safety promotion
- Integrated SMS and protection of safety data
- ANSP SMS review and open discussion
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- All ANSP staff with an interest in SMS
- Managers/Supervisors from ANSP’s, airlines, airports
- Representatives from Civil Aviation Authorities
- Members of Aviation Boards of Directors
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management in Civil Aviation Diploma
Use Safety Management Systems to improve safety and create business and operational efficiency.