Safety Management System (SMS) for ANS Providers (classroom)
You can also take this course online in a LIVE virtual classroom setting:
About the course
4-day (32 hours) classroom course
Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) are required to develop and operate a Safety Management System (SMS) meeting State safety oversight requirements as recommended by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in Annex 19. The objective of any SMS is to ensure safe operations, improve operational efficiency and maintain aviation safety globally. This course includes modules that are designed to build upon an existing core level of knowledge in SMS and to advance your learning with a detailed understanding of how an SMS should be implemented and maintained within an Air Traffic Management environment. The modules will also provide you with ATS specialty-specific insights. A holistic approach to safety that encourages the integration of all aspects of aviation operations (air traffic services, airline operations, airport operations) will be explored.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TCVL-07
- This classroom course provides 4 days (32 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- Participants should have a basic understanding of an SMS and have completed the State Safety Program Fundamentals e-learning course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
11 - 14 October, 2022
Register before 11 Jul, 2022 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount (only for payment by credit card or ICH)*. The price below includes this discount. *Terms apply
Please register by 20 Sep
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 148901
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Outline the role of the State safety oversight and how it applies to ANSP SMS regulatory requirements
- Explain how to align an ANSP SMS with the SMS aims of airport and aircraft operators to ensure mutual safety goals are understood
- Plan and manage specific ANSP safety management activities utilizing the recommended processes outlined in Version 4 of ICAO 9859
- Discuss and share insights and practical experiences and apply your learning through case studies
- Increase safety awareness and reduce operational risks within your organization
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Review of basic SMS concepts as outlined in ICAO Doc 9859 Safety Management Manual
- Safety objectives
- Safety performance management
- Safety data collection and processing systems
- Safety analysis
- Safety promotion
- Integrated SMS and protection of safety data
- ANSP SMS review and open discussion
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- All ANSP staff with an interest in SMS
- Managers/Supervisors from ANSP’s, airlines, airports
- Representatives from Civil Aviation Authorities
- Members of Aviation Boards of Directors
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management in Civil Aviation Diploma
Use Safety Management Systems to improve safety and create business and operational efficiency.