Safety Management Systems (SMS) for Civil Aviation (LIVE virtual classroom)
Did you know that in the past 4 years, 599 participants from 41 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
3-day (18 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
Service providers in civil aviation, such as Air Navigation Service Providers and maintenance organizations, are required to develop and operate a Safety Management System (SMS) that meets State safety oversight requirements as specified by the International Civil Aviation Organization in Annex 19. The objective of an SMS is to ensure safe operations, improve operational efficiency and maintain aviation safety globally. This 3-day course explains safety policy and objectives, safety risk management, safety assurance and safety promotion and gives many practical examples.
Course Code: TALS-03-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 18 hours to complete and be held over 3 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 180 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the B2B Training Specialist in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain safety management fundamentals and relate it to your tasks
- Describe the key features of an SMS, the importance of system description and gap analysis, the relationship between SMS and QMS
- Explain the fundamentals of hazards, hazard identification and risk management
- Describe the safety management requirements in ICAO Annex 19, including the relationship between the State Safety Program and an SMS
- Create a basic SMS implementation plan or improve an existing one
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Safety management
- How to develop and
implement an SMS, or how to improve an existing SMS
- Learn how the financial
cost of safety can be managed
- Target resources
appropriately and measure the results
- Manage safety risks
- Build a positive safety
- Ensure effective communications on safety
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Civil Aviation Managers concerned with safety
- Air Traffic Controllers and managers responsible for safety in Air Navigation Service Providers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.