Safety Management Systems (SMS) for Civil Aviation (Classroom, 5 days)
Service providers in civil aviation, such as Air Navigation Service Providers and maintenance organizations, are required to develop and operate a Safety Management System (SMS) that meets State safety oversight requirements as specified by the International Civil Aviation Organization in Annex 19. The objective of an SMS is to ensure safe operations, improve operational efficiency and maintain aviation safety globally. This five-day course explains safety policy and objectives, safety risk management, safety assurance and safety promotion and gives many practical examples. The latest changes in ICAO Doc 9859 Safety Management Manual, Edition 4, 2018, are highlighted.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TALS-03
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Italy, Milan (PRO-HST)
28 September - 2 October, 2020
Register before 07 Sep, 2020 for a USD100 discount
Please register by 07 Sep
All prices are before tax. Class no: 109474
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
7 - 11 December, 2020
Register before 08 Sep, 2020 for a 20% discount
Please register by 16 Nov
All prices are before tax. Class no: 110667
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain safety management fundamentals and relate it to your tasks
- Describe the key features of an SMS, the importance of system description and gap analysis, the relationship between SMS and QMS
- Explain the fundamentals of hazards, hazard identification and risk management
- Describe the safety management requirements in ICAO Annex 19, including the relationship between the State Safety Program and an SMS
- Create a basic SMS implementation plan or improve an existing one
- Safety management fundamentals
- How to develop and implement an SMS, or how to improve an existing SMS
- Learn how the financial cost of safety can be managed
- Target resources appropriately and measure the results
- Manage safety risks proactively
- Build a positive safety culture
- Ensure effective communications on safety
Notes: As per ICAO, service providers are responsible for the implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS) in accordance with Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) contained in ICAO Annex 6 — Operation of Aircraft, Part I — International Commercial Air Transport — Aeroplanes, and Part III — International Operations — Helicopters, ICAO Annex 11 — Air Traffic Services, and ICAO Annex 14 — Aerodromes, Volume I — Aerodrome Design and Operations.
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Civil Aviation Managers concerned with safety
- Air Traffic Controllers and managers responsible for safety in Air Navigation Service Providers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: