Implementing Voluntary Passenger Carbon Offset Programs (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
About the course
2-day (14 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
This 2-day virtual classroom course will give you the insights and understanding on how to successfully implement and run a passenger offset program. Learn how to improve passenger acceptance and increase uptake rates by applying best practices for carbon offsetting. You will be provided with the tools and knowledge to implement a successful voluntary passenger offset program and learn about the key technical aspects of embedding an offset functionality directly into the online booking process of airlines. You will learn how to link this functionality with credible and impactful carbon offset project offerings, calculate your airline’s per passenger CO2 emissions based on aerodrome pairs and travel class, and how to apply the most accurate carbon calculator methodology.
Course code: TALL-26-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 14 hours to complete and be held over 2 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain the major components needed to implement a successful voluntary carbon offset program
- Describe the technical requirements for implementation of an offset program into the online booking process of airlines.
- Explain carbon calculation and methodologies to derive CO2 emissions per passenger.
- Select carbon offset projects and applying best practices for voluntary carbon offsetting.
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Understanding the opportunities and risks of a voluntary offset program
- How to implement an offset functionality into the online booking process of airlines
- Key stakeholders for implementation
- Carbon calculator and different carbon calculation methodologies
- Selecting charismatic and impactful carbon offset projects
- How to communicate an offset program to passengers
- How to avoid risks related to offset programs and potential reputational damage linked to offset projects
- Improving passenger program acceptance and offset uptake rates.
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Environment, compliance, and corporate strategy managers
- Airline sustainability
- Airline communication
- Government affairs, marketing, and communication mangers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Environmental Sustainability Practitioner Diploma
You will learn through a hands-on course how to design a sustainability strategy, explore more about environmental management systems and gain a good understanding of how carbon markets work, all of which are key elements in reducing a company’s environmental impact.
Environmental Sustainability Expert Diploma
Build on your environmental and sustainability knowledge with this in-depth aviation-focused diploma. Three mandatory courses have been developed especially to take your expertise to the next level.