The e-freight program has set the foundation for the digitalization of the Air Cargo industry and the e-AWB is now used for more than 2 out of 3 shipments. This is a signal that the industry is ready to take digitalization to the next level and go beyond EDI and messaging technologies.
Data sharing standard
ONE Record is a standard for data sharing and creates a single record view of the shipment. This standard defines a common data model for the data that is shared via standardized and secured web API.
The standard is based on mature but progressive data sharing technologies that are well aligned with the best practices used by leading airlines. This makes it directly accessible to IT teams and service providers.
The standard specifies
- Data model specification: provides the air cargo industry with a standard data structure for data exchange using JSON-LD that facilitates data integration with existing and new data services;
- API specification: specifies the interface and interaction of the web API or Application Programming Interface that allows airlines and their partners to connect their system directly using best in class web technologies;
- Security specification: uses an industrywide and federated trust network to manage identification and authentication of data sharing systems and ensures data privacy and confidentiality for all parties.
The objective of ONE Record is to address the main challenges of e-freight and unlock the possibilities of a full digital air cargo industry and create opportunities for new value-added services and business models.
It brings the following benefits to the industry:
- Data quality and control: Data is shared by a data owner who is in full control of data quality. Data stays at the source and the owner determines who may or may not access their data;
- Visibility and transparency: ONE Record aims to cover the end-to-end transportation chain, from the shipper to the consignee. Each party is able to share data of the shipment with relevant parties, ensuring enhanced visibility and transparency;
- Plug & Play connectivity: ONE Record facilitates the direct connectivity between all the industry stakeholders through the use of web API. This will lead to new cooperative IT solutions and innovation;
- Future of digital cargo: ONE Record creates the foundation for true digital air cargo where airlines, their partners and service providers will be able to develop collaborative and automated digital services;
- Welcome a new generation: ONE Record provides a technology platform that is ready for a new generation of digital natives who will be leading the logistics and transport industry within a decade.