Aviation Safety Fundamentals for the Leadership & Management Training Program
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of the general principles and concepts of safety to help you develop a ‘safety conscience’. With this new knowledge you will feel more confident about discussing the role of safety in aviation, as well as ensuring you are ready to take your first steps in a safety career. The course will cover key safety topics and through practical examples, demonstrate how these relate to roles within the aviation industry. Not only will this help you develop your safety leadership capability, but it will also enable you to engage and contribute towards a positive safety culture.
This training program combines IATA's trusted Airline Revenue Management course with Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course Code: TALP-42-HLM
- The course is available in e-book format.
- This course requires approximately 20-25 hours of study to be completed in 12 months from the purchase date (enrollment validity).
- After the enrollment validity expires, you will not have access to the course content and will not be able to take the exam.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
Enrol at an Authorized Training Center to study these materials with the help of a local trainer, or alternatively, you can choose to study these materials on your own.10 HMM© courses
- Additional time will be required for the 10 HMM® modules. Each HMM® self-study module requires approximately 2-4 hours of study. Access to the HMM® platform is valid for 6 months (enrollment validity) from the date access is provided, with exams administered online.
- You will access online resources and other study materials through your IATA User Account.
- You will need an Internet connection and Google Chrome™ browser™.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Enrollment fees include both the IATA course and access to the HMM© platform.
- Upon payment, you will receive access to all HMM© content for a six-month period.
- When you click to purchase the course, you will be directed to login to your Training Account . Please have your login details ready.
Important: Please note that if you are purchasing courses for more than one person, you must create a User Account for each individual. Registration and payment must be done through each User Account. You cannot use one User Account to purchase courses for multiple individuals. However, you may pay for multiple individuals by one credit card or bank transfer through each individual’s User Account. If you pay by bank transfer, please attach a copy of the bank transfer issued by the sender’s bank to each individual’s order. If you are a company wishing to purchase courses for 10 or more employees, please Contact Us for more information on how to register multiple users.
USD 1,000 (e-book)
USD 1,150 (e-book)
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
Describe the importance and regulation of safety in the aviation industry
- State the basic principles of aviation safety including: its definition, why you would use a Safety Management System (SMS), and the requirements and components
- Explain safety policy and objectives including management commitment, responsibility and safety accountabilities
- Discuss the importance of a positive safety culture
- Describe safety working practices and procedures implemented in the aviation industry
- Describe how personal responsibility contributes to a safety conscience and a safety conscious workplace
- Introduction to safety in aviation
- Aviation safety regulatory environment
- Human factors in aviation
- Introduction to Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Safety policy and objectives
- Safety culture
- Application of safety practices in aviation roles
This valuable online reference tool, used by companies around the world, will help you handle day-to-day management issues.
HMM offers the following on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
- Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
- Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
- Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
- Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
- Post-topic, On-the-Job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
Harvard ManageMentor© Content Summary
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Entry-level aviation employees
- Newly hired staff working in airlines, airports and ground handlers
- You will receive an IATA Certificate upon successful completion of the IATA exam.
- A Harvard ManageMentor© certificate of completion is awarded for each module, provided you obtain a passing grade of 70%. You may track your progress within the HMM platform.
How to claim your Diploma
- Upon successful completion of the 10 required HMM© modules and the IATA course, contact us to claim your IATA Leadership and Management Diploma.
Please read the General Information on Partner-taught / Self-study exams, and check the Course Edition List for Exams when booking your exam.
Harvard ManageMentor© Exam
- Exam Method: Online exam with remote supervision
- Exam Format: Multiplechoice questions. Closed course book.
- Number of questions: 60
- Time Allowance: 2.5 hours
- Passing Grade: 60% correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90% correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
- Exam Method: Online assessment
- Exam Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of Questions: 10 or less per HMM© module
- Time Allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing Grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: