Aviation Safety Fundamentals for the Leadership & Management Training Program (partner-taught or self-study)
About the course
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of the general principles and concepts of safety to help you develop a ‘safety conscience’. With this new knowledge you will feel more confident about discussing the role of safety in aviation, as well as ensuring you are ready to take your first steps in a safety career. The course will cover key safety topics and through practical examples, demonstrate how these relate to roles within the aviation industry. Not only will this help you develop your safety leadership capability, but it will also enable you to engage and contribute towards a positive safety culture.
This training program combines IATA's trusted Aviation Safety Fundamentals course with Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course Code: TALP-42-HLM
IATA Aviation Safety Fundamentals course
- This is a partner-taught or self-study course, which will take you approximately 20-25 hours to complete, depending on your previous knowledge and experience.
- The course materials are provided in e-book.
- You will have 12 months to complete the course and exam (enrollment validity), which starts from the date you purchase the course.
- The recommended level for this course is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- Performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
Please note: Once you have completed the exam you will no longer have access to the course material, and after the 12-month enrollment validity expires you will no longer have access to the course content, nor will you be able to take the exam.
10 HMM© courses
- Additional time will be required for the 10 HMM© modules. Each HMM© self-study module requires approximately 2-4 hours of study. Access to the HMM© platform is valid for 6 months (enrollment validity) from the date access is provided, with exams administered online.
Study with the help of an Instructor
If you would prefer to study this course with the help of a local trainer, enrol at an IATA Authorized Training Center near you.
- Enrollment fees include both the IATA course and access to the HMM© platform. Upon payment, you will receive access to all HMM© content for a six-month period. If you are ordering printed materials that will require shipping, please check the shipping fees and applicable taxes.
- When you click to purchase the course, you will be directed to login to your Training Account through our Customer Portal. If you have previously taken a course with IATA, please have your login details ready, if not, you will be prompted to create an account.
Important: Please note that if you are purchasing courses for more than one person, a Training Account must be created for each individual. Registration and payment must be made through each individual Training Account. You may pay for multiple individuals by using one credit card or bank transfer in each individual’s users Account. If you pay by bank transfer, please attach a copy of the bank transfer issued by the sender’s bank to each individual order. If you are a company wishing to purchase courses for 10 or more employees, please Contact our Customer Service representatives for more information on how to register multiple users.
USD 1,150 (e-book)
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
Describe the importance and regulation of safety in the aviation industry
- State the basic principles of aviation safety including: its definition, why you would use a Safety Management System (SMS), and the requirements and components
- Explain safety policy and objectives including management commitment, responsibility and safety accountabilities
- Discuss the importance of a positive safety culture
- Describe safety working practices and procedures implemented in the aviation industry
- Describe how personal responsibility contributes to a safety conscience and a safety conscious workplace
The key topics that are covered during this IATA course include:
- Introduction to safety in aviation
- Aviation safety regulatory environment
- Human factors in aviation
- Introduction to Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Safety policy and objectives
- Safety culture
- Application of safety practices in aviation roles
HMM © access
This valuable online reference tool used by companies around the world will help you handle day-to-day management issues. The Harvard ManageMentor© content summary provides an outline of the courses which offer on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
- Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
- Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
- Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
- Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
- Post-topic, on-the-job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Entry-level aviation employees
- Newly hired staff working in airlines, airports and ground handlers
An IATA Certificate is awarded to participants successfully passing the final exam.
Please read the General Information on Partner-taught / Self-study exams, and check the Course Edition List for Exams when booking your exam.
- Method: Online exam with remote supervision (OERS)
- Format: 60 multiple-choice questions. Closed course book exam.
- Time allowance: 2.5 hours
- Passing grade: 60% correct answers
- Distinction grade: 90% correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
Harvard ManageMentor© Exam
A Harvard ManageMentor© certificate of completion is awarded for each module, provided you obtain a passing grade of 70%. You may track your progress within the HMM platform.
How to claim your Diploma
- Method: Online assessment
- Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of questions: 10 or less per HMM© module
- Time allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
: Upon successful completion of the 10 required HMM© modules and the IATA course, please contact us
to claim your IATA Leadership and Management Diploma.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Leadership & Management Training Program Diploma (self-study)
Enhance your critical business knowledge and skills through this highly-acclaimed training program.