Carbon Markets and Aviation (LIVE virtual classroom)
This course will provide a brief history of airlines’ and IATA’s action to address climate, as well as the evolution of CORSIA (Carbon Offset and Reductions Scheme for International Aviation) at ICAO. Within the context of aviation, we will also review both compliance and voluntary carbon markets, examine how carbon credits are created, the types and locations of carbon offset programs and projects, review the standards that exist for validation/verification of carbon credits, review the international standards and recommended practice that have been approved to date, by ICAO for CORSIA compliance, and understand how carbon offsets and allowances are bought and traded.
Course code: TALL-24-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 18 hours to complete and be held over 3 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session Asia (IATA)
25 - 27 August, 2021
Register before 04 Aug, 2021 to take advantage of the USD100 Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 11 Aug
All prices are before tax. Class no: 140537
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session Americas (IATA)
24 - 26 November, 2021
Register before 24 Aug, 2021 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 10 Nov
All prices are before tax. Class no: 140536
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe the current and future role of aviation in both voluntary and compliance carbon markets.
- Identify how carbon offsets and allowances are bought, sold and retired for compliance purposes, as well as the role of Registries in these transactions.
- Describe the roles of carbon offsets in CORSIA compliance, including the requirements on emissions reports and emission units cancellation report.
- Develop a CORSIA compliance strategy for your airline, including compliance options, internal stakeholders, timing,
- Aviation’s impact on climate change and efforts to mitigate emissions
- Existing regulatory requirements for GHG associated with Aviation, EU ETS, carbon taxes + voluntary actions
- ICAO’s regulatory requirement, Carbon Offset and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA).
- Voluntary and compliance carbon markets and carbon offsets
- Accessing and retiring carbon offsets for compliance and voluntary offsetting purposes
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Environment, compliance, and corporate strategy managers
- Government affairs, marketing, and communication mangers
- Government agencies
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.