Public Policy and Regulation for Civil Aviation - Carleton University (LIVE virtual classroom)
About the course
5-day (37.5 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
Learn about regulatory governance in civil aviation, how and to what extent, governments exercise their formal legislative authority along with a broad range of other tools to encourage or compel certain business behaviors in the air transport sector. Over 5 days. you will cover the main principles of public policy and policy making, the role and impact of stakeholders’ influence on policy making, how regulations are made, how policy arguments should be analyzed and IATA’s Smarter Regulation Initiative. A practitioner’s perspective is also provided to help students integrate theoretical concepts with real-life government decisions.
This course must be completed first as part of the IATA - Carleton University Professional Certificate in Air Transportation Principles and Policy.
Course Code: TVCT-75-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 37.5 hours to complete and be held over 5 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 180 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- A university degree is recommended. However, an acceptable combination of education and work experience could be considered based on consultation with the Program’s registration counsellor. You should work or recently have been recruited to work in a policymaking or regulatory governance role in air transport.
- Recommended level is Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 or the equivalent for courses in English.
How to register
Please register for the full IATA - Carleton University Professional Certificate in Air Transportation Principles and Policy program
View more details
View fewer details
Canada, Ottawa (CU-Virtual)
5 - 9 December, 2022
Please register by 22 Nov
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 159526
For more information about this course and the IATA - Carleton University, please contact:
Dr. Marc Rioux: firstname.lastname@example.org
Transportation Policy Innovation Centre – Carleton University
Richcraft Hall, Room 5222
1125 Colonel By Dr
K1S 5B6 Ottawa, Ontario
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Discuss the complexity and pace of how governments make decisions that impact the business and operational environments of the main components of the civil aviation ecosystem
- Gain a better appreciation for the level of aggregation of issues a regulator has to take into account
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Main principles of public policy and policy making
- Market failures and externalities
- Issues in the area of government regulations
- How regulations are made
- Analysis of policy arguments
- Smarter Regulation Initiative
Who should attend
This course is recommended for entry- and intermediate-level analysts and managers in:
- The air transport industry
- Organizations that interact or do business with air transportation
A Carleton University certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the course and an assessment.