Together, Let's Build Modern Airline Retailing
Today, customers want personalization, efficiency, and seamless experience on any channel. Modern Retailing, supported by the implementation of NDC and related standards, can achieve this and move airline distribution away from legacy artifacts and into the future. The journey is well underway, but there is more to be achieved.
This web page offers a comprehensive overview of the IATA standards and programs enabling value creation through Airline Retailing. Useful information and resources are also made available to support organizations across the value chain in planning their transition - from strategy to initiation and implementation.
A world of Offers and Orders
Explore the IATA standards supporting the implementation of capabilities that drive the industry transition to Modern Airline Retailing:
Airline Retailing Knowledge Hub
Your one-stop-shop for useful guidance and resources that support your organization in planning this transition.
Explore the below sections and find the information you need - from factsheets and guidance through to practical tools, implementation case studies and thought leadership.
- NDC factsheet: the NDC program, the NDC standard, and more.
- Dynamic Offers factsheet: the combination of dynamic pricing, continuous pricing, and dynamic bundling capabilities.
- ONE Order facthseet: one reference, one process, one industry.
- Settlement with Orders factsheet: a lean XML data exchange standard and a process simplifying the settlement between travel industry partners.
- Airiine Retailing Maturity index (ARM index) factsheet: the ARM index helps airlines and their partners assess where they are on the journey towards a world of 100% Offers and Orders and provides visibility on new capability developments they may consider, to drive more benefits going forward.
- Get started with Airline Retailing: the primary purpose of this paper is to provide airlines with the necessary understanding to start their transformation journey.
- Get started with NDC: an essential must-read, covering key practical aspects, such as how to build a business case, who to talk to, what to look out for, etc.
- Dynamic Offers - a quick reference guide
- ONE Order transition study
- The Standards Retailer and Supplier Interline Agreement (SRSIA)
- NDC guide for Travel Sellers
- NDC guide for Corporate Travel Managers
Discover the IATA Advisory Councils that provide the Strategic Industry Governance supporting he industry transition to Modern Airline Retailing:
- The Distribution Advisory Council (DAC) acts as advisor to the IATA Board of Governors and works closely with IATA management on all matters referred to it by the Director General and related to industry distribution.
- The Digital Transformation Advisory Council (DTAC) acts as advisor to the IATA Board of Governors and works closely with IATA management on all matters referred to it by the Director General and related to industry transformation and aviation industry data.
- The Industry Financial Advisory Council acts as advisor to the IATA Board of Governors, the Director General, other Advisory Councils, IATA management and other relevant IATA bodies on matters concerning industry financial services and standards, and related policy aspects.
Case Studies & Implementer Soundbites
We have compiled implementation presentations, case studies, use cases, and interviews from industry players with different levels of implementation maturity.
Find the ones applicable to your needs in the links below:
- Development of New Offers >>
- Enhanced Revenue Management >>
- Optimized Distribution Mix >>
- Better Customer Targeting and Engagement >>
- Optimized Payment and Fulfilment >>
- Airline Retaling Maturity (ARM) index registry is the sole source for industry recognition of player’s capabilities enabled by the IATA EASD standards.
- AirTech Zone - the IATA Developer Portal is an open platform to access IATA and open industry innovative resources (e.g., standards, schemas, API's, datasets, etc.) available to the external developer community.
- Distribution Schemas space enables you to access and download the distribution schemas (the current NDC 21.3, or older versions).
- The Open API Hub - APIs supporting airline distribution processes, including shop, order, pay capabilities irrespective of distribution channel.
- Airline Retailing: an industry vision for Offers and Orders (IATA, 2021)
- Reshaping the AIrline Organization for the Future of Retail (IATA - BCG study, 2022)
- The vendors’ view on transition to a world of Offers and Orders (IATA x TiM white paper, 2022)
- Charting the future of airline retailing (IATA x BCG white paper, 2021)
- Airline retailing: the value at stake (McKinsey, 2019)
Do you need more information, or wish to discuss your organization's transition to 100% Offers and Orders?
The IATA Subject Matter Experts and Regional Offices are here to support you.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us.
Airline Retailing in Action
Possible next steps to consider are:
- Define your strategic objectives in Distribution & Payment
- Determine your approach to channel & content management, as well as product development
- Develop a business case for short and long-term value and required investment
- Establish an actionable roadmap and engage your trade, sales, and channel partners
- Understand the implications for your organization, talent, culture, and new ways of working
The IATA SMEs and Regional Offices are also here to support you.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us.
Sign up for our newsletter - the Airline Retailing Hub - to stay current on IATA's Airline Retailing programs and initiatives.