The Multilateral e-AWB Agreement provides the legal framework for parties to conclude cargo contracts by electronic means. This way, airlines will have a single agreement with IATA, enabling them to accept e-AWB from all participating freight forwarders.
How to join?
To join the Multilateral e-AWB Agreement, follow the process below:
- Download the Airline Submission Form (doc)
- Enter the required information in the Airline Submission Form (under signatory details, leave the signature and date fields blank)
- Send the completed Airline Submission Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- IATA will send the form to signatory indicated for e-signature
- Once the signature is completed, IATA will register airline and airports, and publish the information online
How to update your information?
To update the list of airports and/or change your designated contact complete the Airline Submission Form (doc) and send it to IATA (same address as for joining).
Doing AWB under the multilateral e-AWB agreement is a three-step process, after joining, airlines just need to activate and start e-AWB!
- Check which freight forwarders have joined the agreement and select your partners to roll out e-AWB
- Contact your freight forwarder partners to discuss where and when to start e-AWB
- Ensure that both of you are operationally ready to start e-AWB (business processes, electronic communication, data quality, etc) at the agreed locations
- Send the Activation Notice (doc) to your freight forwarder partners confirming locations and start dates
- Start doing e-AWB at the activated locations
- Roll out e-AWB at further locations and with more freight forwarder partners by repeating the steps above
IMPORTANT: ACTIVATION NOTICE
- You should start doing e-AWB at a location only after sending the Activation Notice to freight forwarder for that location
- The multilateral e-AWB agreement comes into force between an airline and a freight forwarder at a location only upon airline sending an Activation Notice to freight forwarder (pursuant to Resolution 672, Attachment A, Article 3.1).
See the FAQ on the Activation Notice
- Download the Airline e-AWB quick reference guide (pdf)