Unit Load Devices (ULDs) are the air freight version of shipping containers. While their size is standard, the methods of ULD handling, storage and transport and not. As a result, ULDs are also the leading cause of aircraft damage on the ground.
To help reduce the $400M annual repair bill and knock-on effects of cancellations and delays, we’ve put together a set of handling regulations specifically for ULDs. The publication covers the technical and operational responsibilities and various airline requirements as well as design and manufacturing specifications.
Order the ULDR online
If you are new to the ULD Regulations, all versions are updated annually. Digital products come with automatic updates for the year and a search function that makes finding current information easy. And, it's cheaper. Find out which format suits your needs best.
What’s inside the ULDR?
- Applicability (definition, operator and other party responsibilities, training, security, weighing, health and safety)
- Limitations (structure, contour, compatibility, restricted use, airworthiness rigid cargo, active container and non-certified limitations, serviceability check, repairs, state and operator variations)
- Classification (principles, certified approval, TSO C90 certification, non-certified containers, accessories)
- Identification; technical and operating specifications, marking
- Documentation and messaging (operational, ownership, repair station, operating instructions in CMM, non-certified containers
- Handling (airworthiness, storage, forklift requirements, transport, transfer and movement, build-up, breakdown, special purposes)
- Technical recommendations (definitions, sizes, modular packaging, modular load unit construction, test recommendations, markings
Still not sure if the ULDR is for you? Download the full table of contents.
The key changes to ULDR 8th edition include:
- Addition of Aircraft Operating Limitations/ ULD Limitations applicable to ULD Build-up
- Clarification on ULD Tag completion requirements
- Addition of illustration of ULD components listed on the ULD ODLN
- Clarification on ULD training requirements regarding recurrent training interval
- Removal of obsolete ULD Type Codes
You can learn more about ULD regulations and best practice in three ways.