Managing Accident Prevention and Investigation (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
Did you know that in the past 4 years, 334 participants from 39 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
Starting with an overview of the legal responsibilities involved as per ICAO Annex 13, 19 and ICAO Doc. 9859, this course provides you with a practical understanding of accident preparedness and the details of the investigation process in the case of an aircraft accident. Gain the knowledge and skills to manage or participate in an accident response and support formal investigations.
Course code: TCVG-16-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 18 hours to complete and be held over 3 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 180 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- Participants should prior knowledge of ICAO Annexes 13, 19, Doc 9859 AN/460.
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session EMEA (IATA)
11 - 13 October, 2022
Register before 11 Jul, 2022 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount (only for payment by credit card or ICH)*. The price below includes this discount. *Terms apply
Please register by 27 Sep
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 149452
Virtual Classroom Training Information
2 daily LIVE sessions:
15:00-18:00 & 19:00-22:00 Beijing/Singapore
11:00-14:00 & 15:00-18:00 Dubai
9:00-12:00 & 13:00-16:00 Geneva/Paris
7:00-10:00 & 11:00-14:00 UTC
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Relate the entire accident investigation process
- Know how to manage accident preparedness
- Participate in and support formal investigations
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Basic safety concepts and terminology
- State accident investigation responsibilities especially Annex 13, 19 and ICAO Doc 9859
- European regulation, national and domestic provisions and military provisions
- Preparation and readiness for an investigation into an aircraft accident
- Step by step process for managing an accident response including support functions such as managing communications and the media
- Participation in on-site investigation including safety on the accident site
- Accident and incident investigation techniques
- Flight recorders
- Airframe investigation
- How to manage investigation into the power plant both on-site and in the workshop
- Fire investigation
- How to investigate various aircraft systems
Who should attend
This course is recommended for personnel involved in accident investigations from:
- Civil aviation authorities
- Airport authorities
- Air navigation service providers
- Accident investigation agencies and related aviation organizations
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management in Civil Aviation Diploma
Use Safety Management Systems to improve safety and create business and operational efficiency.