Air Transport Economics (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
Did you know that in the past 4 years, 237 participants from 40 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
The course will introduce participants to the fundamental concepts of economic analysis, with specific application to airline operations and the air transport industry. You will learn how these tools can be used to assess current and emerging industry trends and issues – including the role of regulation and state policy decisions. Crucially, you will gain an understanding of how these analytical tools and frameworks can be incorporated into business and strategic planning and this knowledge applied in your workplace. By the end of the course you will be able to identify key air transport system components and their related economic drivers.
Prior industry experience is useful to fully understand course content, although topics are accessible to new industry professionals.
Note: For in-company courses, the content can be tailored to meet your specific needs.
Course code: TCVG-49-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 15 hours to complete and be held over 3 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- Industry experience and knowledge of common aviation and economic terms would be an advantage but not mandatory.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Understand and explain key economic concepts, as they relate to the air transport industry
- Analyze air transport issues using various economic frameworks and tools and learn how they can be applied in the workplace
- Understand the impact of public policy and regulatory frameworks on air transportation
- Identify and assess the main long-term issues and challenges facing the industry
- Fundamental principles of economic analysis
- Key concepts of air transport economics
- Main drivers of industry growth
- Current state of the industry (guest speaker)
- Economic regulation, competition & cooperation
- Long-term issues and challenges
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Airline managers
- Aviation professionals
- Civil Aviation Authorities
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Aviation Policy and Regulations Diploma
An overview of the regulatory and legal regimes, as well as the international industry affairs applicable to all aspects of the aviation industry.
Civil Aviation Management Diploma
Strengthen your management skills and strategies to use in your civil aviation authority.