Baggage Handling Services and Systems (Virtual Classroom)
These topics and more are covered in greater detail in the following traditional classroom course:
Baggage mishandling costs the air transport industry around US$2.9 billion annually. Correct baggage handling not only reduces costs but also contributes to facilitation and passenger comfort.
Learn to recognize baggage handling problems at the source and enhance your service efficiency by incorporating improved processes, infrastructure, and service management in your organization. Analyze the various airline service models and how to apply them to check-in, ramp and baggage claim procedures.
Course code: TAPG-09-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 15 hours to complete and be held over 5 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- Participants should have knowledge of Airport and Ground Operations
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session EMEA (IATA)
26 - 30 October, 2020
Register before 05 Oct, 2020 for a USD100 discount
Please register by 12 Oct
All prices are before tax. Class no: 130301
Virtual Classroom Training Information
Two sessions daily:
07:00-08:30 & 10:30-12:00 UTC
08:00-09:30 & 11:30-13:00 London
09:00-10:30 & 12:30-14:00 Geneva
11:00-12:30 & 14:30-16:00 Dubai
15:00-16:30 & 18:30-20:00 Singapore
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
Identify main problems in your baggage handling
Analyze the impact of mishandled baggage for stakeholders
Measure the performance of a handling system at an airport or outstation
Improve baggage handling processes and infrastructure
Identify planning requirements and airport infrastructure improvements
Discuss solutions based on best practices, using IATA’s experience with industry-wide projects
Airport types and airline requirements
Processes within passenger terminal operations
Operating characteristics of Baggage Handling Systems (BHS)
Lost and mishandled luggage
Infrastructure planning and processes
Measuring efficiency and performance
Managing baggage handling teams
Outstation operations and control
Improving existing systems and processes
Contingency towards uninterrupted services
Future developments in BHS
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
Airport Operations Managers
Baggage Handling Supervisors
Airport Development Specialists
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: