Advanced Safety Management Systems (SMS) in Civil Aviation (classroom)
You can also take this course online in a LIVE virtual classroom setting:
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 226 participants from 56 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
5-day (40 hours) classroom course
Developed and delivered in collaboration with the industry, this course builds on the existing knowledge and expertise of every participant. The curriculum examines safety management concepts from a holistic point of view, supporting an in-depth understanding of factors that influence safety outcomes in an organization. Through case studies and group discussions, you will utilize critical thinking to form defensible safety positions. Additionally, you will be introduced to emerging safety management concepts that will shape Safety Management Systems (SMS) in the coming years.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TCVG-30
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- Participants should have a strong working knowledge of the SMS framework; extensive experience managing Safety within an organization; and will be required to complete a pre-course questionnaire.
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
United States, Miami (IATA, ACCET Accredited)
5 - 9 December, 2022
Register before 04 Sep, 2022 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount (only for payment by credit card or ICH)*. The price below includes this discount. *Terms apply
Please register by 14 Nov
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 148504
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Apply your knowledge to assess an SMS to identify areas of excellence and improvements
- Formulate actions and assess the potential impact of safety related issues for an organization
- Appraise the organizational context when considering safety improvements
- Create defensible safety positions to support corporate decision-making, while reducing safety risk
- Develop and implement actions to strengthen key safety culture drivers supporting the continuous improvement of an organizations' safety performance
- Differentiate contrasting leadership styles and their influence in implementation and ongoing effectiveness of safety initiatives
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Safety Culture and its drivers in an organization
- Safety Leadership and its role in enabling effective safety management
- SMS Key Appointments, Structures and Committees
- Safety Data and Safety Information – assessment, use and protection
- Facilitating informed decision-making through Safety Risk Assessments Evolution of Safety Management
- This course gives you practical experience using interactive exercises and case studies to plan, implement and operate a Safety Management System.
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Ground Service Providers
- Air Navigation Service Providers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management in Civil Aviation Diploma
Use Safety Management Systems to improve safety and create business and operational efficiency.