Safety Management Systems (SMS) for Airlines (Classroom, 5 days)
Some of these topics are also explored in the following virtual classroom course:
Guidelines to align your operations with ICAO annex
19 safety management systems provisions and comply with industry requirements
for personnel licensing, operation of aircraft and more. The systematic SMS
approach ensures both safer operations and improved overall efficiency by
managing organizational structure, staff accountabilities, policies and
procedures. Developed in accordance with ICAO principles, this course helps you
fulfil SMS requirements and establish a functional SMS within your operations.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TALS-01
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have basic knowledge of operational safety
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Develop, manage and monitor a SMS that fits within the scope of your operations
Make improvements to your operations that will prevent costly accidents, incidents and injuries to staff
Comply with industry requirements and improve your cooperation with regulatory authorities
Understand how to use the SMS as an effective management tool for safety performance and productivity
Use risk management tools to continually improve your safety performance
- Safety regulations
- Compliance and performance with ICAO SMS and state safety programs
SMS definition and the 4 pillars
- Safety policy and objectives
- Safety accountability and responsibilities
Organizational system description
- Safety risk management
- Hazard identification and analysis
Safety risk evaluation
- Safety assurance
- Safety assurance and ICAO SMS framework
Safety performance monitoring requirements
- SMS - safety reporting
- Managing a safety reporting program
- SMS implementation
- Phased approach
Rationale and justification
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
Airline operations managers
Corporate and operational safety managers, analysts, coordinators
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Mohammed Eturki, National Air Services (NAS), In-company course participant
This is one of the best training courses I have taken during my 25+ years in the industry. The rich content covered all the SMS essentials and I couldn’t have asked for a better instructor whose knowledge, operational experience and passion for the subject matter made the course truly enjoyable! Working for an organization that supports and promotes global safety, I am certain IATA’s safety training contributes to reducing industry accidents and hazards.