Tax Planning and Compliance for International Airline Professionals (LIVE virtual classroom)
These topics and more are covered in greater detail in the following traditional classroom course:
Did you know that in the past 4 years, 69 participants from 15 countries have taken this course with IATA?
This introductory course will provide you with insight and knowledge into indirect and direct taxation as it relates to the aviation sector, as well as the tax treatment of flight and cabin crew members. You will learn about the different tax systems, the various tax treaty conventions, and the related database and software relevant to taxation in the aviation industry. Develop the necessary skills to identify key issues in order to mitigate the possible tax risks faced by your business.
Course code: TALG-16-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 15 hours to complete and be held over 3 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 90 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
1 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session EMEA (IATA)
16 - 18 August, 2021
Register before 18 May, 2021 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 02 Aug
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132371
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able
- Understand the main types of indirect taxation in the airline industry
- Apply the general principles of direct taxation in the context of the aviation industry
- Identify the risks and costs of non-compliance
- Gain insights into IATA’s ticket tax database and new technologies
- Identify employment tax and social security issues in relation to aircrew
- Apply skills and tools to day-to-day tax issues
- Indirect tax
- VAT, GST, sales tax, and general consumption tax
- Ticket and fuel taxes
- Impact of non-compliance
- Direct tax
- Corporate income tax, double tax treaties, permanent establishment (PE)
- Model Tax Conventions
- Taxable airline revenue from non-aviation related business
- Transfer pricing principles and implications
- Tax audit process
- Tax treatment of flight and cabin crew members
- Payroll taxes and deductions
- Tax and social security rules
- Aircrew residency and mobility considerations
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Junior airline professionals
New professionals to the airline tax teams
Anyone with extensive background of the airline industry with limited or no tax field experience
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.