Part of StB Cargo, e-freight is an industry-wide initiative involving carriers, freight forwarders, ground handlers, shippers, customs brokers and customs authorities. E-freight aims to build an end-to-end paperless transportation process for air cargo through a regulatory framework, modern electronic messages and high data quality.
The e-freight roadmap outlines a shared end-to-end industry approach to remove three types of documents:
- Customs documents, engaging regulators and governments worldwide to create an "e-freight route network" where customs procedures are fully electronic and regulations support paperless shipments.
- Transport documents, working collaboratively within the cargo supply chain to digitize the core industry transport documents, starting with the Air Waybill (AWB).
- Commercial & special cargo documents, developing a plan to digitize the commercial and special cargo documents typically accompanying air freight today, in or out of the "cargo pouch".
- Accelerate and support the adoption of e-AWB
- Push for the adoption of Cargo-XML standards
- Test the electronic version of the Dangerous Goods Shipper's Declaration (e-DGD)
- Work with the World Customs Organization and local customs authorities around the world to embrace e-customs, and encourage the use of Cargo-XML standards for Advance Cargo Information (ACI)
- Improve data quality through the Message Improvement Program (MIP)