Competency-Based Training for Dangerous Goods Instructors (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
About the course
5-day (40 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
Under a Competency-Based Training and Assessment (CBTA) approach, the instructor plays a critical role in facilitating the trainees’ progression towards their achievement of relevant competencies. The instructor is also required to be actively involved in evaluating the effectiveness of the training program to support continuous improvement. In this course, you will acquire techniques and strategies to plan robust CBTA compliant dangerous goods training programs. You will learn how to develop training sessions, impart knowledge through active learning, sequence learning activities to ensure an effective mix and flow, and conclude training sessions with emphasis on competency focused approach. You will have ample opportunities to learn and practice a variety of core techniques to lead adult learning, communication and presentation skills, and effective facilitation techniques. Furthermore, you will obtain practical, workable solutions for successful classroom management and media usage.
Course Code: CECB-08-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 40 hours to complete and be held over 5 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 180 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- Participants should have successfully completed a relevant dangerous goods training program and possess a valid certificate attesting the same.
- Recommended level is Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 or the equivalent for courses held in languages other than English.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
3 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session Asia (IATA)
5 - 9 December, 2022
Register before 04 Sep, 2022 to take advantage of the 20% Early Bird discount (only for payment by credit card or ICH)*. The price below includes this discount. *Terms apply
Please register by 21 Nov
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 158850
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Apply a regulatory framework using a CBTA approach
- Recognize CBTA concepts and their benefits to all stakeholders
- Recognize the “analyze, design and develop” process and apply it to dangerous goods training
- Implement a competency-based training and assessment strategy and plan
- Acquire techniques and strategies to plan and deliver robust CBTA compliant dangerous goods training programs
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness and quality of the training program
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Interpreting CBTA concepts, principles, benefits
- Understanding competency factors
- Recognizing stakeholders and their roles and responsibilities in CBTA
- Using a CBTA approach to develop, implement, and execute effective instructional and assessment plans
- Understanding and applying adult learning principles
- Learning practical facilitation techniques
- Applying facilitation techniques for effective classroom management in face-to-face or virtual environments
- Designing engaging visual or electronic aids required for the training unit
- Mastering communication and presentation skills
- Analyzing and evaluating feedback to ensure continuous improvement
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Dangerous Goods instructors, trainers and assessors
- Supervisors and line managers involved in training and assessment
- Companies aiming to obtain IATA CBTA Center certification
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 80% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Dangerous Goods Quality Specialist Diploma
You will be equipped to train all categories of dangerous goods training, including instructing a variety of staff engaged in the shipment of goods by air.