Infectious Substances Transport (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 109 participants from 43 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
3-day (18 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
Shipping Infectious Substances can be an intimidating task when looking at the multitude of classification, packaging, marking, labelling, documentation, and handling requirements. In accordance with Division 6.2 – Category A and B requirements, this course will keep you compliant with regulations for shipping infectious substances, such as those used in medical research and diagnostic fields. This course will teach you the skills to handle potentially dangerous pathogens, process all of the correct documentation, and reduce risks to yourself and those around you.
Course Code: TCGP-22-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 18 hours to complete and be held over 3 consecutive days.
- There will be 2 live interactive virtual classroom sessions per day, each session will be 180 minutes.
- The live sessions will require your participation, with multiple Q&A sessions and additional time spent on self-study material including projects, research, additional reading and videos.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
2 additional classes are scheduled
View more details
View fewer details
Virtual Session Americas (IATA)
13 - 15 September, 2022
Register before 23 Aug, 2022 to take advantage of the USD100 Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 30 Aug
All prices are before tax and include applicable discounts.
Class no: 149039
Virtual Classroom Training Information
2 daily LIVE sessions:
9:00-12:00 & 13:00-16:00 Miami/Montreal
15:00-18:00 & 19:00-22:00 Geneva/Paris
17:00-20:00 & 21:00-0:00 Dubai
13:00-16:00 & 17:00-20:00 UTC
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Apply the technical skills of shipping infectious substances by air
- Reference the current Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines based on the most recent IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations Manual
- Apply the step-by step workbook in conjunction with the current Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines publication
- Promote safe and efficient handling practices in the workplace
- Facilitate shipments in compliance with the applicable regulations
- Classification of infectious substances
- Labelling, documentation, and handling of infectious substances
- Emergency procedures for infectious substances
- IATA Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines manual
- Key issues involved in the shipping of infectious substances
Each participant will receives a complimentary copy of the latest valid IATA Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines (ISSG) manual in e-book format. It is an indispensable field publication that you will refer to throughout this course and in your day-to-day duties.
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Medical personnel
- Laboratory personnel shipping viruses for research purposes
- Airline cargo acceptance agents and freight forwarders
- Pharmaceutical company staff
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 80% or higher on all exercises and exams.
Please note: The course title on your certificate will include the DGR Category of the course - Infectious Substance Transport – Shipping and Packing Categories 1,2
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Dangerous Goods Operations Diploma
Learn the regulatory requirements to handle the air transport of dangerous goods.
Special Cargo Handling Diploma
Safely and efficiently handle special commodities.