Safety Management Systems (SMS) - Train the Trainer (LIVE virtual classroom)
You can also take this course in-person, in a classroom
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 412 participants from 57 countries have taken this course with IATA?
About the course
4-day (22 hours) LIVE virtual classroom course
This course will provide you with an in-depth look at the challenges and best practices related to training in the area of Safety Management Systems (SMS). The course is designed to cater to the needs of professionals already active within airlines and who deal with questions such as “does our SMS training curriculum comply with all regulatory requirements?”, “how can I make SMS training relevant and engaging for everyone in the airline?”, and “how do I develop SMS training that delivers concrete improvements in our safety indicators?” Besides answers to these questions, this course will provide you with insights to advance your comprehension of the specific characteristic of your airline so you may lead the reflection on safety training with your colleagues and stakeholders.
Course code: TALS-35-VC
- The live sessions of this virtual classroom course are delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- The course will take you approximately 22 hours to complete and be held over 4 consecutive days.
- There will be 1 live interactive virtual classroom session per day, each session will be 180 minutes, with an additional 60 minutes for live Q&A with the instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
Please verify your hardware, software and network to support your upcoming course with IATA Training.
- It is important that you complete the bundled e-learning course Safety Management Systems Fundamentals prior to starting the first live virtual classroom session.
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
We schedule our virtual classroom courses through one of 3 virtual venues, each in a different time zone for your convenience. For more information, please visit our page on virtual classroom timing or contact our Customer Portal.
Please check the exact schedule of each class below (View more details) and click ‘Register’.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the need for SMS training in your organization
- Determine the scope of an SMS training
- Develop an SMS training according to organizational needs
- Summarize best practices in delivering SMS training to different audiences
- Apply best practices for evaluating the effectiveness of training and implementing appropriate corrections
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Challenges of SMS training
- Scope of SMS training and regulatory requirements
- Conducting training needs analysis
- Key steps in the design and development of an SMS training program
- Effective training delivery across formats
- Evaluating the effectiveness of training
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Safety instructors and subject-matter experts
- Corporate or operational safety managers
- Post holders in quality assurance/ compliance / Operations (Ground, Flight, Cabin and others)
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Safety Management for Airlines Diploma
Gain a complete and updated knowledge on the current safety management issues and best practices.